- Andre Villas-Boas’s meet and greet with the press saw him accuse Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich of ‘quitting on him’ during his period at the Blues. Should be good grounding for what might happen at Spurs if results don’t go their way. AVB has also given his strongest hint to date that Luka Modric may quit the club.
- Andy Carroll has demanded ‘showdown talks’ with Liverpool after more rumours linking him with a move to either Fulham or Newcastle on a permanent basis. The Liverpool board may demand the same with new boss Brendan Rodgers who says a Premier League title may not happen ‘in his time’ at the club.
- Nani could be on his way from Old Trafford after expressing concerns that the club may try to sell him or use him as a sweetener in their pursuit of Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao.
- Yohan Cabaye (26) is going nowhere according to Alan Pardew after reports linked the midfielder with an £8m move to Barcelona while the Newcastle boss hopes to announce a couple of new signings within a fortnight.
- FIFA are to probe allegations of bet-fixing by players in the Premier League.
- Rangers will know what League they will play in this season when a decision is made on Friday.
- Betting: Premier League
- Betting: Opening day games
- Newmarket’s July meeting gets under orders today with the Group 2 Princess of Wales Stakes (3pm) the feature on the opening day. The action gets underway at 1.20pm and Paddy Power will refund your stake if your selection is 2nd to the SP favourite (t&cS apply). Doncaster (2.05), Folkestone (6.00) & Epsom (6.15) are the other UK cards while Dundalk (2.20) and Leopardstown (5.55) take place in Ireland. Warwick has been abandoned.
- Betting: All today’s cards and prices
- Luke Donald puts his Scottish Open title on the line ahead of next week’s bid for the Open Championship. Padraig Harrington, Ernie Els and Phil Mickelson are among the big hitters in the field at Castle Stuart where Paddy Power is offering 1/4 odds the first SIX places (t&c’s apply).
- Meanwhile, Steve Stricker is aiming for his fourth consecutive win in the John Deere Classic stateside.
- Betting: Scottish Open, John Deere Classic & the Open Championship
Tour De France:
- Bradley Wiggins has warned that today’s Alpine Stage is the toughest test yet in his bid to hold onto the yellow jersey as the Tour passes the half-way mark.
- Betting: Stage 11
- Betting: Outright