Manchester United and Southampton have played out some high-scoring thrillers over the last few years and we don’t expect today to be any different. Here at the Paddy Power Blog we’ve looked through some of the best match stats ahead of the game this afternoon at St Mary’s to help you out before you place a bet.
- In the last 11 competitive fixtures between these two Southampton have won just one, in the Premier League in 2003
- In their last 16 matches against newly promoted clubs Manchester United have won 13 and drawn three
- The last six competitive games have had over 2.5 goals
- In 90 league fixtures Southampton have only won 23 where United have won 46
- In United’s last four away games they have lost 1-0 on three occasions
- In 26 Premier League fixtures between these two there have been 92 goals. An average of 3.5 goals a game
- Saints haven’t lost their opening three games of a season for 11 years
- In the last six fixtures there have been five goals in the opening 20 minutes
- This is Sir Alex Ferguson’s 1000th league game. Of the previous 999, Manchester United have won 598, drawn 233 and lost 168
- In the last three games he has started against Southampton Paul Scholes has scored four goals.
Looking at the stats it is hard to see Southampton getting anything from this game. It should be an exciting contest though and historically there have been plenty of goals. Over 3.5 goals is 13/8 and over 4.5 goals is 7/2.
Manchester United are 7/5 to cover the one goal handicap and win by two goals or more. It is 10/11 that the first goal is scored up to and including the 24th minute. If Paul Scholes gets a start for the reds he is 14/1 to score the first goal and continue his good run against the Saints.