Scotland v Serbia, Saturday 8th September, 3.00pm
Scotland could be dark horses to sneak through Group A and pinch a World Cup place but will have a tough opening home game against Serbia to kick them off. The Scots are ranked 47th in the FIFA rankings and are only five places behind Serbia and go in on the back of some decent enough form. You can guarantee that Hampden Park will be rocking on Saturday and Craig Levein’s team will be fired up and full of self-belief. Serbia have plenty of experience in their ranks not to be intimidated by the occasion but it should make for a mouth-watering encounter.
Here’s all the stats and numbers you need to know before Saturday’s big game.
- Scotland are in tidy form and have only lost two of their last nine matches
- They have scored in all of those nine games and haven’t drawn a blank since 29th May 2011
- They certainly aren’t goal shy and in five of the last six games Scotland have found the onion bag before half-time
- Unfortunately despite this they have only been ahead at the break in two of those six games
- Serbia aren’t in the best vein of form and haven’t won in five matches
- They have also failed to score in seven of the last nine
- Serbia have been beaten 2-0 in five of their last eight matches so aren’t as defensively solid as you might think
It is clear from the recent form that Scotland have a goal in them and they could certainly find the net against Serbia. Although Serbia are in poor form they are no push overs and will make it tough so the 11/5 for the draw looks like good value. In what could be a tight encounter from the start the half-time/full-time result of draw/draw might also be worth a nibble at 10/3.
Scotland are in good form in front of the net and you feel that although Serbia are a touch goal-shy they could break that run here. The 1-1 draw is 5/1 and with Scotland scoring but very rarely being ahead at half-time it might be worth a few quid on the 7/1 that it is 1-1 at the break. If you think the game will be low scoring under 2.5 goals is a slim 4/7.