By Josh Powell | FA Cup Final, Manchester City v Wigan
Plenty of punters are writing Wigan off already and Adrian Chiles hasn’t even hit our screens. A quick look through the book and there has even been more than 35 bets on Manchester City to win 8-0. If there were any die-hard Wigan fans in existence, they’d probably tell you themselves that a Latics win is as likely as Dave Whelan picking up a Nobel Peace Prize.
But if you don’t follow your dream, you’ll never have a dream come true. Or something like that. I think Bradley Cooper said something similar in a RomCom the missus had on last night.
Wigan fans on the three coaches heading down from the North West have more reason to be optimistic than you might think. The Latics are 4/1 to lift the FA Cup and punters who have had a cheeky punt on them might want to remember these stats next time someone questions your betting skills in the pub this evening.
- Wigan have never lost an FA Cup Final in their history
- Manchester City have lost 44 per cent of FA Cup Finals they have reached
- Wigan are unbeaten in this year’s FA Cup
- The Latics have a 100 per cent record at the new Wembley
- Manchester City have just an 80 per cent record at the new Wembley. They lost the 2011 Community Shield there to Manchester United.
- Wigan have never conceded a goal at the new Wembley
- But Manchester City have conceded six in five games there
You can’t argue with cold-hard facts and Wigan’s record underneath the Wembley arch is considerably better than City’s.
They might be favourites to be relegated. They might have conceded nine goals in the last four games. But why concern yourself with current form when there is a cauldron of FA Cup magic brewing somewhere underneath the Wembley turf?
Dive in here to place your FA Cup Final bets, but don’t necessarily bank on Wigan. They are massive underdogs for a very good reason and this article is mostly satire.