Paul Mallon | Wedding fund
The #WeddingFund would dearly love boxer Matthew Macklin to line our pockets this weekend with a big outsider victory, but I can’t see it happening.
Taking inspiration from your average Saturday night in Dublin’s Temple Bar, this week’s solitary punt is on boxing.
Birmingham-born Irishman Matthew Macklin (29-4, 20 KOs) goes nose-to-glove against Kazakh southpaw Gennady Golovkin (31) in the early hours of Sunday morning in Connecticut.
Big punchers but odds against Macklin
Golovkin (1/9), defending his world middleweight title, goes into the fight unbeaten in 26 fights. Twenty-three of his wins have come by KO.
This could be a cracking fight as both men are big punchers but the odds are firmly against veteran Macklin (11/2).
Can Macklin (31, pictured above) relieve the Kazakh southpaw of his IBO and WBA World middleweight crowns?
“He has destroyed pretty much everyone, and as a consequence, he’s probably the most hyped fighter in the sport right now,” Macklin said of Golovkin.
In the kitty: £119 (3.96% of target)
June 29 #weddingfund bets | week six
- Gennady Golovkin to beat Matthew Macklin Round 7-12 @15/8 (2 points). Odds and form would seem stacked against Macklin, but despite his impressive KO record, Golovkin hasn’t fought much. Expect the fight of his life from Macklin, but I’d reckon round 8 could be the end.
- 1-point bet. Finger of fudge (having a nibble)
- 2-point bet. Milky Way (snack)
- 3-point bet. Purple Snack (fancy it)
- 4-point bet. Biscuit Yorkie (all over this)
- 5-point bet. Pack of Hob-Nobs (lumping on)