You may have noticed Paddypower.com has undergone a Gok Wan style make-over. Don’t worry, it’s still the same site underneath. All the buttons and categories are in the exact same place. More importantly, Paddy won’t be walking naked down a hastily-built runway in a shopping centre near you. If he does it’s because that’s what he likes to do on his days off. It has nothing to do with us.
There are three definitive reactions to this new look from customers.
- What the f***?!?! Something’s changed and it scares me. I don’t like this. I’m going to another bookmaker because they never change anything, ever.
- It looks great. It’s so dope and super fresh and fly and other stupid words used by Will.I.Am
- Change? What change? Stop talking to me I’ve got bets to place.
Like every change, we expect an initial period of uncertainty. Followed by a period of acceptance and love, which is then followed by a period of, ‘The site hasn’t always looked like this? Really? I can’t remember anything before last Tuesday. Oooh, did you hear there’s a new cat video on YouTube?’
‘So if the functionality of the site hasn’t changed, what’s the gosh darn point?’ That’s what some of you may be asking, using saltier language.
They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.
Here’s 10 reasons why Paddypower.com changed our look
1. Paddypower.com was launched 13 years ago in June 2000, which means the site is entering puberty. You’re lucky it isn’t wearing black, covered in piercings and written in text speak.
2. The website is now firmly placed in the middle of your screen. As any historian will tell you, taking a more centred approach leads to political stability, avoiding a military coup.
3. Orange went out of fashion in 1993. Unless you’re the Dutch football team of the 1970s (or Louis Walsh) orange has never really been in fashion.
4. The only thing that goes with the flow is a dead fish. So says Roy Keane. When we pointed out to Roy that fish who want/have to go downstream also technically go with the flow, he ripped his copy of The Little Book of Calm in half and ran off to find some fish to punch.
5. We haven’t pulled a stunt in, like, six weeks. Technically this isn’t a stunt but an improvement. Essentially it’s just another way to get people to pay attention to us. We love people paying attention to us as these stunts prove.
6. Stripes make you go faster. It’s a scientific fact. That’s why they’re called ‘go-faster stripes’, not ‘go slower or at the same speed stripes’. The stripes have worked too because the site actually runs faster than ever. This may have something to do with some technical wizadry behind the scenes but we’re giving all the credit to the stripes. Go stripes!
7. We read somewhere that the internet has reduced attention spans to some really low number we can’t remember, from a source we can’t recall. To test this theory we decided to change the look of the site to see if anyone would notice. You did, so well done you for your brain not being fried.
8. It’ll take your mind off the royal baby.
9. Global marketing agency Landor came up with the new look. They’re really good at what they do, so their invoices tell us.
10. New stuff is better than old stuff. Your new girlfriend/boyfriend is always better than your old one. Just ask Ashton Kutcher.