By Josh Powell | Europa League
Emphatically yes. Throw your Racing Post away, turn off Football Focus and stop straining your brain trying to predict football results because the ‘Scrabble Method’ works. It could have been the biggest stroke of luck since Michelle Keegan ‘accidentally’ posted that dodgy picture on Twitter, but the ‘Scrabble method’ worked on the Europa League coupon last night.
- Using the below method you would have predicted 15 correct results from 34, which is a 44% strike rate.
- If you’d put £1 on every result you would be showing a profit of £18.81.
- You would have correctly called Vikingur Gota to beat Inter Turks away from home at a whopping 22/1.
Find out how the Scrabble method worked below…
The majority of Premier League stars are waltzing back from a couple of weeks by the sea to be put through a rigorous training scheme ahead of the new season – unless of course you play for Stoke and then you’ll be learning how to wrestle people at corners.
If you ply your trade in the Macedonian first division, the Faroe Islands Premier League or the Welsh top flight however, European nights have arrived.
This is great news for three sets of people…
- Fans of said clubs who haven’t had to endure a summer without football. An awful summer that has included trips to garden centres and spending time with loved ones.
- Football acca lovers who enjoy nothing more than tackling a long list at 3.00pm on a Saturday and trying to click a 15-fold across four divisions
- People who have missed football so much they have found themselves rocking in the corner of a dark room watching re-runs of West Ham’s 0-0 draw with Sunderland on a Monday in December
When the boss asked for a preview of the 34 match coupon we were a little bit hesitant. Firstly because it sounded like an awful lot of work for a Wednesday, and secondly because we couldn’t pronounce most of the teams playing, let alone know much about their new star striker who cost them 980 Faroese Krona and three goats.
The Europa League coupon looks like someone at Paddy Power has projectile vomited a week’s supply of Alphabetti Spaghetti into the system, so we are putting the well-loved board game Scrabble to the test.
Andy Gray and Mark Lawrenson struggled to pick many winners in last year’s Premier League so let’s see if the 75-year-old word game can predict football results instead.
By using the value of each letter in a game of Scrabble we have given every team a score, and the highest score wins the match. Very straightforward and great news if you’re a fan of Lithuanian top flight team KF Kruoja Pakruojis. Not so great for the die-hard supporters of Norwegian side Tromso. Sorry lads.
Looking through the selections for Thursday’s games this is who came out on top using the completely untested Scrabble method…
- 44 per cent are home wins
- 47 per cent are away wins
- Three draws have been predicted
- 47 per cent are favourites
- 14 selections are odds-on shots
- The biggest priced selection is FK Krouja Pakruojis at 35/1 and the shortest is Zrinjski Mostar who are 1/25 to beat UE Santa Coloma at home
There’s every chance our bank account will be in a worse state than the Greek economy by the end of this little experiment but we’ll probably still be better off than if we followed an ITV pundit.
On Friday we’ll go back through the results and see how much you could have been up or down if you’d put £1 on each prediction.
Word to the wise – check out all the odds and the crazy coupon for Thursday here
The ‘Scrabble method’ Europa League coupon in full
- IRTYSH PAVLODAR (26) v LEVSKI SOFIA (21)
Irtysh Pavlodar 7/2
- FC PYUNIK (22) v TETEKS TETOVO (19)
FC Pyunik 3/10
- FK AKTOBE (21) v GANDZASAR KAPAN (31)
Gandzasar Kapan 11/1
- FK VENTSPILS (23) v AIRBUS UK BROUGHTON (29)
Airbus UK Broughton 15/2
- GEFLE (9) v JK TRANS NARVA (26)
JK Trans Narva 25/1
- KHAZAR LANKARAN (34) v SLIEMA (8)
Khazar Lankaran 1/12
- FC SANTA COLOMA (22) v BREIDABLIK KOPAVOGUR (38)
Breidablik Kopavogur 3/10
- FK MLADOST PODGORICA (35) v VIDEOTON (12)
FK Mladost Podgorica 11/2
- HORIZONT TURNOVO (30) v SUDUVA MARIJAMPOLE (34)
Suduva Marijampole 11/8
- MSK ZILINA (24) v TORPEDO KUTAISI (21)
MSK Zilina 1/6
- DINAMO MINSK (20) v KF KRUOJA PAKRUOJIS (48)
KF Kruoja Parroujis 35/1
- F91 DUDELANGE (16) v FC MILSAMI-URSIDOS (26)
FC Milsami-Ursidos 23/10
- FK KARABAKH (30) v METALURG SKOPJE (30)
- FK METALURGS LIEPAJA (37) v PRESTATYN TOWN (21)
FK Metalurgs Liepaja 2/5
- INTER TURKS (14) v VIKINGUR GOTA (21)
Vikingur Gota 22/1
- LEVADIA TALLINN (18) v BALA TOWN (13)
Levadia Tallinn 3/10
- SKONTO RIGA (15) v FC TIRASPOL (17)
FC Tiraspol 10/3
- VALLETTA (11) v LA FIORITA (12)
La Fiorita 22/1
- ZRINJSKI MOSTAR (36) v UE SANTA COLOMA (17)
Zrinjski Mostar 1/25
- FC VADUZ (25) v CHIKURA SACHKHERE (37)
Chikura Sachkhere 5/1
- IFK MARIEHAMN (26) v INTER BAKU (15)
IFK Mariehamn 6/5
- MALMO (9) v DROGHEDA UNITED (21)
Drogheda United 10/1
- NK CELJE (20) v TROMSO (8)
NK Celje 11/4
- ROSENBORG (12) v CRUSADERS (12)
- DACIA CHISINAU (21) v KS TEUTA DURRES (18)
Dacia Chisinau 1/6
- BOTEV PLODIV (26) v FC ASTANA (13)
Botev Plodiv 8/11
- KS KUKESI (20) v FLORA TALLINN (15)
KS Kukesi 15/8
- FC ASTRA GIURGIU (21) v NK DOMZALE (25)
NK Domzale 9/1
- HB TORSHAVN (21) v IBV VESTMANNAEYJAR (37)
IBV Vestmannaeyjar 5/6
- BUDAPEST HONVED (26) v NIKSIC CELIK (23)
Budapest Honved 1/6
- GLENTORAN (10) v KR REYKJAVIK (36)
KR Reykjavik 8/11
- VOJVODINA NOVI SAD (34) v HIBERNIANS FC PAOLA (29)
Vojvodina Novi Sad 1/18
- ST PATRICK’S ATHLETIC (31) v VMFD ZALGIRIS (31)
- AC LIBERTAS (14) v FK SARAJEVO (27)
FK Sarajevo 1/14