By Josh Powell | Europa League
It wasn’t the emphatic victory that we had last week, but once again the ‘Scrabble Index’ has shown a profit, and more importantly, at no stage have you had to melt your brain researching the Luxembourg top flight or listen to a ‘tipping expert’ like Mark Lawrenson pull analysis out of his arse. A simple board game has done the job.
- If you’d put £1 on every prediction yesterday, you’d be showing a profit of £3.52
- The Scrabble Index correctly predicted 12 of last night’s 34 Europa League matches. This is slightly disappointing and just a 35 per cent strike rate, down nine per cent on last week. Still we’re in profit, so saying it’s disappointing is like dating Jennifer Lawrence when you were hoping for Georgia Salpa – It’s far from devastating.
- Spectacular results included 8/1 shots St Johnstone beating Rosenborg 1-0 away from home and FC Differdange 03 coming from 1-0 down to beat FC Uterecht 2-1 at odds of 7/1.
Two weeks of profit from two monster Europa League coupons, you can’t say fairer than that. Overall the Scrabble Index is up £22.33 which easily sorts out another round at the bar this evening or gets the take-away in if you’re having a quiet one. Unfortunately it probably isn’t enough for that date with Jennifer Lawrence.
Read how the Scrabble Index works below…
The ‘Scrabble Index’ worked so well for us last week that we are wheeling it out again to deal with a coupon-busting evening of Europa League action. 80 teams are in action in all and as we don’t really have the foggiest about Anorthosis Famagusta’s recent form or the chances of FC Differdange 03 getting a result at home, we’re rolling out the Scrabble Index.
Simply by giving each team a Scrabble score based on the value of the letters in their name, we hope to correctly make a profit off unpronounceable Europa League ties.
We proved just how
flukey successful this method could be by nailing a 44 per cent strike rate, correctly guessing 15 of the 34 results correctly. Mainly thanks to Vikingur Gota beating Inter Turks away from home at 22/1, the Scrabble Index returned a profit of £18.81. Read it and weep naysayers.
That’s four pints in the Dog and Duck on Friday or a large Pepperoni Passion from Dominos on Saturday with a tip for the delivery man. Happy days.
After initially debating whether to retire the Scrabble Index with a 100 per cent record, we decided to roll it out for the monster coupon tonight. Unfortunately our luck is due to run out and tonight’s experiment might result in the most horrific error of judgement since John Terry offered to pop round and fix Wayne Bridge’s dishwasher when he was at training.
This is what the Scrabble Index threw up this week…
- 51.5 per cent are home wins
- 45.5 per cent are away wins
- One draw has been predicted
- 48.5 per cent are favourites
- 14 selections are odds-on shots
- The biggest priced selection is Vikingur Gota at 18/1 and the shortest is HNK Rijeka who are 1/14 to beat Welsh side, and popular holiday destination if you are an elderly person living in the North-West of England, Prestatyn Town.
On Friday we’ll go back through the results and see how much you could have been up or down if you’d put £1 on each prediction.
Word to the wise – check out all the odds and the crazy coupon for Thursday here
The ‘Scrabble Index’ Europa League coupon in full
- DINAMO MINSK (20) v LOKOMOTIVA ZAGREB (37)
Lokomotiva Zagreb 5/2
- FC HONKA (19) v LECH POZNAN (26)
Lech Poznan 10/11
- FK KARABAKH (30) v PIAST GLIWICE (20)
FK Karabakh 11/10
- SHAKHTER SOLIGORSK (32) v FC MILSAMI-URSIDOS (26)
Shakhter Soligorsk 1/5
- BEROE STARA ZAGORA (28) v HAPOEL TEL AVIV (24)
Beroe Stara Zagora 11/5
- SKONTO RIGA (15) v SLOVAN LIBEREC (20)
Slovan Liberec 8/11
- ZRINJSKI MOSTAR (36) v BOTEV PLOVDIV (26)
Zrinjski Mostar 2/1
- ANORTHOSIS FAMAGUSTA (28) v GEFLE (9)
Anorthosis Famagusta 8/13
- CHERNOMORETS ODESSA (26) v DACIA CHISINAU (21)
Chernomorets Odessa 2/11
- IFK GOTHENBORG (27) v AS TRENCIN (11)
IFK Gothenborg 4/7
- IL HODD (11) v FK AKTOBE (21)
FK Aktobe 10/11
- MACCABI HAIFA (28) v KHAZAR LANKARAN (34)
Khazar Lankaran 9/1
- MALMO (9) v HIBERNIAN (14)
- PETROLUL PLOIESTI (20) v VIKINGUR GOTA (21)
Vikingur Gota 18/1
- ROSENBORG (12) v ST JOHNSTONE (21)
St Johnstone 8/1
- STROMSGODSET (16) v DEBRECEN (13)
- TROMSO (8) v INTER BAKU (15)
Inter Baku 4/1
- FC DIFFERDANGE 03 (27) v FC UTRECHT (19)
FC Differdange 03 7/1
- FC THUN (14) v CHIKHURA SACHKHERE (37)
Chikhura Sachkhere 8/1
- KS KUKESI (20) v FK SARAJEVO (27)
FK Sarajevo 11/8
- VALLETTA (11) v FC MINSK (18)
FC Minsk 4/7
- FK JAGODINA (28) v RUBIN KAZAN (25)
FK Jagodina 9/2
- SPARTA PRAGUE (17) v BK HACKEN (23)
BK Hacken 6/1
- VMFD ZALGIRIS (31) v FC PYUNIK (22)
VMFD Zalgiris 8/15
- XANTHI (16) v LINFIELD (12)
- FC ASTRA GIURGIU (21) v AC OMONIA NICOSIA (21)
- HAJDUK SPLIT (28) v HORIZONT TURNOVO (30)
Horizont Turnovo 14/1
- RED STAR BELGRADE (20) v IBV VESTMANNAEYJAR (37)
IBV Vestmannaeyjar 12/1
- TRABZONSPOR (24) v DERRY CITY (19)
- VOJVODINA NOVI SAD (34) v BUDAPEST HONVED (26)
Vojvodina Novi Sad 8/11
- NK OLIMPIJA LJUBLJANA (50) v MSK ZILINA (24)
NK Olimpija Ljubljana 11/8
- SLASK WROCLAW (24) v FK RUDAR PLJEVLJA (42)
FK Rudar Pljevlja 8/1
- HNK RIJEKA (27) v PRESTATYN TOWN (21)
HNK Rijeka 1/14
- BREIDABLIK KOPAVOGUR (38) v STURM GRAZ (21)
Breidablik Kopavogur 4/1
- KR REYKJAVIK (36) v STANDARD LIEGE (16)
KR Reykjavik 5/1