By Josh Powell | Stupid Punt
The lack of Saturday action, the piss-poor quality of watching a 0-0 draw against Ukraine, the fact James Milner gets another England cap. There are plenty of things during international week that send people a little crazy.
Crazy enough to back Emmanuel Frimpong to score the opener against Sunderland? Apparently so.
The Stupid Punt celebrates those Premier League punters who take a risk at huge odds and could potentially come out a few grand richer, as well as adorning our Paddy Power Blog Punting Hall Of Fame.
Here are three of the more outlandish bets in the book for this weekend’s games and some stats to try to back them up.
Correct score – Manchester united 3-4 Crystal Palace
One punter has £3.00 staked at 500/1
- Last time Manchester United were beaten 4-3 in the Premier League was against Blackburn on February 1 2006. David Bentley bagged a hat-trick!
- Palace won a league game 4-3 relatively recently, beating Burnley by that scoreline in the Championship last October at Selhurst Park
- Last time the Eagles managed to score four away from home was in December 2008, as they ran out 4-2 winners against Reading at the Madejski Stadium
David Moyes might be under a little bit of pressure at Manchester United and one Paddy Power punter thinks newly promoted Crystal Palace are prime to take advantage – with a 4-3 win at Old Trafford. United don’t concede many in front of their home fans but if one man can do the damage it must be, er, Dwight Gale.
Correct Score – Aston Villa 6-0 Newcastle
One punter has staked £20 at 500/1
- Newcastle were beaten 6-0 just seven Premier League matches ago – against Liverpool at the end of April
- The last time Villa beat a team 6-0 was in April 2008 when they hammered Derby away
- Villa knocked six past Newcastle in a league game in April 1924 when they beat the Magpies 6-1 at Villa Park
This might not look to stupid on Saturday evening when this punter is counting out a fresh £10k in his e-wallet. Aston Villa are massively improved this season, yes. Newcastle are very much as crap as everybody thinks, yes. Christian Benteke is a beast, definitely.
A 6-0 win for the Villains? Maybe…
Scorecast – Emmanuel Frimpong to score first and Arsenal to beat Sunderland 5-3
One punter is on at 2500/1
- Emmanuel Frimpong has made 29 appearances in his footballing career and never scored. He has played just over seven hours of football for Arsenal and hasn’t featured in a league match for the Gunners since December 2011
- Arsenal have knocked exactly five goals past Sunderland on four occasions. In the league in 1950 and twice in 1949, and in the cup in 1906
- The last time Sunderland conceded five goals they were beaten 5-0 by Manchester City in a league match in May 2011
I have no words. This is mental. the definition of a Stupid Punt.