By Josh Powell | Stupid Punt
In hindsight, Roy Hodgson’s half-time team talks might not be thoroughly thought out, and the same could be said for some of this weekend’s Premier League punts.
But sometimes these elaborate bets make the best stories plus there’s practically no chance of anybody getting offended.
It might be a premonition, a dream, or a stern belief fueled by a night of Jagerbombs and pub debate. Whatever it is that makes people place these punts at crazy odds, we applaud it.
The Stupid Punt celebrates Premier League punters who take a risk at huge odds and could potentially come out a few grand richer, as well as adorning our Paddy Power Blog Punting Hall Of Fame.
Here are three of the more outlandish bets in the book for this weekend’s games and some stats that try to back them up.
Scorecast: Liverpool to beat Newcastle 4-3 and Daniel Sturridge to score first
Three punters are on at 250/1
- Three matches between these two have ended 4-3. Two matches went in Liverpool’s favour in 1996 and 1997, and one went Newcastle’s way back in September 1932
- The last time Liverpool won 4-3 away from home in the league was against Aston Villa in January 1928
- Four of Daniel Sturridge’s six goals this season have been the first of the game and all six of his strikes have come before the 36th minute
The two mid-90s encounters between these two sides live long in a punter’s memory, and there are three customers who fancy another 4-3 epic with dancing Danny opening the scoring. He has a knack of scoring the opener which makes the stupid punt slightly more appealing, however in the three encounters between Newcastle and Liverpool that have ended 4-3, have always gone in favour of the home side.
Correct score: Arsenal 0-3 Norwich
Four punters are on at 325/1
- Norwich have beaten Arsenal 3-0 away just once before in their history. In a League Cup match on January 30 1973
- The last side to beat Arsenal 3-0 at the Emirates Stadium was Chelsea in November 2009
- Last season Norwich scored three on the road against Manchester City and Peterborough and hit four past Swansea
Arsenal are flying high at the top of the league while Norwich sit in the relegation zone after a shaky start to the season. That hasn’t stopped four punters gambling on the table being turned upside down when Norwich visit the Emirates on Saturday. So what the Canaries haven’t won away at Arsenal since 1992, football is mental right?
Scorecast: Southampton to beat Man United 3-2 and Victor Wanyama to score first
One punter is on at 475/1
- Southampton have beaten Manchester United 3-2 at Old Trafford just once in their history, back in September 1931
- Celtic never lost a game that Victor Wanyama scored in
- Saints have not conceded two or more goals in the last ten top flight games
Manchester United got shocked by West Brom at home and then struggled to beat the league’s bottom side away. Southampton getting a result at Old Trafford isn’t exactly beyond the realm of possibility. The Saints are in incredible form but this one punter will be relying on midfielder Victor Wanyama to kick-start this Stupid Punt.
Let’s just say with a career total of 15 goals in 153 games, he wouldn’t top our list of most reliable midfielders to break the deadlock.