Manchester City made it five wins in six games on Saturday as they took apart a shambolic Norwich team at the Etihad Stadium. The final scoreline was 7-0, but it could have been more if Manuel Pellegrini’s men had wanted. The result hasn’t done Chris Hughton’s CV any favours and the Norwich fans who made the 400 mile round trip probably weren’t best pleased either.
But three Paddy Power punters clicked the 175/1 scorecast and presumably celebrated City’s win like they’d just won the Champions League. Edin Dzeko’s late strike with five minutes to go was pretty meaningless with the match finished as a contest long before, but it meant a hell of a lot to the three lucky punters waiting on the 7-0 scorecast.
It takes a whole lot of courage, luck and skill to make it into the Punting Hall of Fame, and this bet even benefitted from a slice of Paddy Power generosity.
The opening City goal after 15 minutes was credited by many sources as being a Bradley Johnson own goal. Sergio Aguero tried to stab the ball towards the onion bag, and the ball cannoned of Johnson’s boot and over keeper John Ruddy.
- Normally when an own goal is scored, any first goalscorer bets go on to the next man to find the back of the net – in this case David Silva.
- However Paddy Power paid out on both Aguero and Silva as first goalscorer meaning these three punters, as well as plenty more people could cash in their winning bets.
75 minutes and six more goals later and the bet was won. A total of three bets and a combined payout of £1,936.
It might have looked like a Stupid Punt earlier on in the day but by full-time these three punters had rightfully earned their seat in the Punting Hall of Fame. Great work chaps!
- Stupid Punt: Your craziest Premier League bets for this weekend
- Stupid Punt: The craziest Premier League bets you’ve placed this weekend
- Stupid Punt: The craziest Premier League bets this weekend