Christmas is less than two weeks away and the general frantic behaviour and panic that comes with the festive season has set in. From kicking elderly people in the shins while you rush around the shops buying last minute gifts for people you don’t like, to placing incredible long-shots in the Premier League to try to pay for it all. Christmas is here.
Here at the Paddy Power Blog we salute these Stupid Punts and admire the balls, the nous and the luck needed to strike it lucky with a big bet.
A winning bet at crazy odds is something to be proud of, and a seat in the Punting Hall of Fame awaits the victor. Not to mention the wad of cash, our admiration and random compliments on Twitter from people you will never have any desire to meet.
Here are three of the more outlandish bets in the book for this weekend’s games and some stats that try to back them up.
Scorecast: Marouane Chamakh to score first and Palace to beat Chelsea 2-0
One punter has stuck £1 on at 600/1
- Crystal Palace have won just two games away at Chelsea from 18 meetings. The last time they won there was in March 1982 when Tight Fit were number one in the charts with the Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Palace have only beaten Chelsea 2-0 once in their history. It was at home in 1973
- Incredibly Marouane Chamakh has had just one shot away from home all season and he scored – in Palace’s 2-1 defeat to Stoke in August
Chelsea’s form in the league is a bit indifferent and with Tony Pulis at the helm Palace have won three of the last four league games. Up front Chamakh boasts a conversion rate of 50 per cent with three goals from six shots but for this bet to get running he needs to be put in a shooting position more often. The chances of that happening at Stamford Bridge are slimmer than David De Gea.
Scorecast: Luis Suarez to score first and Liverpool to beat Tottenham 5-1
One punter is on at 700/1
- The last time Tottenham lost 5-1 at White Hart Lane was in August 2011. Man City inflicted the damage on that day with Edin Dzeko bagging four
- Luis Suarez has an average of a goal every 64 minutes this season
- It is almost five years to the day that Liverpool last won 5-1 away from home in the league. It was December 2008 when they thumped Newcastle by that scoreline at St James’ Park
A 5-1 scoreline seems unrealistic but the form that Luis Suarez is in, it is hard not to see him on the scoresheet. The bean counters in Power Tower are a little concerned with the relatively recent five one scorelines for Liverpool and against Spurs, and this one might not look as daft as Stupid Punt tends to suggest.
Scorecast: Kieran Gibbs to score first and Arsenal to beat Man City 5-4
One punter has stuck £1 on at 4000/1
- Arsenal have beaten Man City 5-4 once before, at home, back in January 1961
- Kieran Gibbs has one goal in 95 hours of Premier League football. It came in a 3-0 win against Aston Villa in March 2012
- Manchester CIty have never been beaten 5-4 at home in the league
It’s difficult to know where to start with this bet. Early kick-offs on a Saturday hardly lend themselves to nine-goal thrillers, City don’t tend to concede five goals on their own turf and Kieran Gibbs is far from the most prolific player on the pitch.
It is the epitome of a Stupid Punt.
- One punter wins £17k off a £3 football accumulator to kickstart Christmas early
- Find out how Luis Suarez and Sergio Aguero have been putting cash in your e-wallet
- White Hart Pain: Here is why the trends are stacked against Liverpool