The Punting Hall of Fame welcomed another entrant last week in one of the biggest Stupid Punts of the year.
If you missed it one lucky punter pocketed more than £41k from two massive punts. A £30 bet on Liverpool to beat Spurs 5-0 at 375/1 looked impressive, but another £30 bet on Liverpool to win 5-0 and Luis Suarez to score first at 1000/1 was just mind-blowing.
It will be some Christmas in that house this year. If you didn’t read about it, you can find out more here.
This week, plenty more people are trying to earn their place in the Punting Hall of Fame and The Paddy Power Blog is here to give you a few stat bombs to accompany your craziest bets.
Scorecast: Dimitar Berbatov to score first and Fulham to beat Man City 2-0
Two punters are on at 350/1
- Dimitar Berbatov has played 15 hours of football against Manchester City in his career and scored just once, for Tottenham in May 2007
- The last time Manchester City failed to score and lost away to Fulham was in August 1998 in a Second Division match. Peter Beardsley scored the opener
- Fulham have won 2-0 at Craven Cottage just once in the last two years.
Manchester City’s away form might be slightly shaky, but it takes a brave man to back Fulham to beat them. The same Fulham side who have lost eight of the last nine in all competitions and haven’t beaten City and kept a clean sheet since Boyzone were number one with ‘No Matter What’. Berbatov’s record hardly fills you with confidence either.
Scorecast: Ravel Morrison to score first and West Ham to beat Man Utd 2-0
One punter is on at 550/1
- West Ham have won 2-0 at Old Trafford in the league just once. On November 27 1976 in the old Division One
- The Hammers have played more than eight and a half hours of football at the Theatre of Dreams since they last found the back of the net there
- Ravel Morrison has an 18 per cent conversion rate away from home in the league – scoring two goals from just 11 shots
West Ham haven’t enjoyed much success at Old Trafford in recent years, but as with all these stats this season they have to be taken with a pinch of salt. This clearly isn’t the same Manchester United of old. Still, with just one 2-0 victory at OT in the league it seems hard to envisage another win by that scoreline, however if there’s one man eager to impress it would be the rebel Ravel.
Scorecast: Luis Suarez to score first and Liverpool to beat Cardiff 9-0
One punter has stuck £2 on at 1000/1
- Luis Suarez has 12 goals at home in just five appearances, averaging a goal at Anfield every 38 minutes this season and boasting a 33 per cent conversion rate
- Liverpool’s previous biggest win against Cardiff was a 5-0 victory at home on April 15 1927
- The last time Liverpool won 9-0 at home was against Crystal Palace in 1989, Steve Nicol began the rout and eight different players scored for the same team – the only time this has ever happened in English football history
Normally a punt on a 9-0 scorecast would be mocked relentlessly and easily branded a Stupid Punt.
However, considering Luis Suarez’s form, Liverpool’s recent goal haul and this punt from last week, I’m just going to let this one slide…
- Punting Hall of Fame: Liverpool and Luis Suarez help Paddy Power customer to £30,000 in Sunday scorecast coup
- The Punting Hall of Fame’s New Year’s Honours List
- Festive fixtures: Who will top Paddy Power’s mini-league over Christmas?