Forget the January blues, the crazy storms and the Christmas come-down. The weekend is here, the Premier League is back after an FA Cup break and there’s no better time to claim your ticket for the Punting Hall of Fame.
Here at the Paddy Power Blog we like a brazen show of confidence in complete disregard of the consequences or the outcome. Admittedly that does lead to some awkward moments on the dance floor, but it does explain our admiration for the Stupid Punts. Those bets with the massive odds that could guarantee you a Hall of Fame seat.
This week, plenty more people are trying to earn their place in the Punting Hall of Fame and The Paddy Power Blog is here to give you a few stat bombs to accompany your craziest bets.
Correct Score: Hull 4-5 Chelsea
One punter has £5 on at 500/1
- Chelsea have scored exactly five goals against Hull once in their history – a 5-1 victory at home in 1905
- The last time Chelsea won 5-4 away from home it was against Birmingham City in December 1977
- In the last 12 months, Hull have scored four or more goals at home on two occasions – in a 5-2 win against Birmingham in March, and last month’s 6-0 hammering of Fulham
The Hull City Tigers are comfortably in the top half of the table and have not spectacularly flopped as some people from this blog may have initially predicted. Chelsea are doing things the ‘Mourinho way’, grinding out results without looking particularly impressive. That factor along with the lack of firepower from their wayward strikers makes this scoreline look a little desperate.
Scorecast: Chico to score first and Swansea to beat Man United 3-1
One punter has £4 on at 850/1
- Chico Flores has just one goal in more than 64 hours of Premier League football for Swansea
- It is almost 82 years to the day Swansea last beat Man United 3-1, back on January 16 1932
- Manchester United haven’t lost four games on the spin since 1961
Manchester United are in free-fall so it wouldn’t be a massive shock if they struggled against Swansea at the weekend. Saying that, they haven’t lost four games in a row for more than half a century and Chico Flores is hardly prolific in front of goal.
Scorecast: Alvero Negredo to score first and Man City to beat Newcastle 7-0
One punter is on at 1250/1
- Newcastle have never lost 7-0 at home in the league. The last time they conceded exactly seven on their own turf, West Brom won 7-3 in 1953
- Negredo has an average of a goal every 93 minutes in all competitions for Manchester City
- Man City have never scored more than four away to Newcastle and the last time they scored four in the North East was in 1968
Normally a 7-0 socrecast at odds of 1250/1 would be ridiculed massively – particularly when Newcastle have never lost 7-0 at home and City have never scored more than four there. However this City team look capable of destroying anyone and this punt might not be as stupid as you’d think…
- Have your own effort of making the Punting Hall of Fame with all the latest Premier League odds here: Desktop | Mobile
- Stupid Punt FA Cup special: Your craziest bets on the Third Round
- The Punting Hall of Fame’s New Year’s Honours List
- The stats say referees just aren’t as intimidated by Fergie-less Manchester United