Our penultimate #BallofShame Decathlon event is a team affair – we’re looking at which Premier League sides have created the most delays in their matches, perhaps in order to have a little rest.
Below are the clubs who’ve racked up the most injury time during their matches in the first half of the Premier League season.
West Brom matches have probably dragged on a bit too long for many of their fans so far this season and it certainly wasn’t their imagination as they take the bronze here. Only two Premier League clubs have won more free kicks in the first half of the season, so they’re getting plenty of recovery time.
Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea have earned a medal to match his hair, with his disruptive tactics this season generating plenty of stoppages. The Blues are in the top five for both fouls committed and fouls drawn, which adds up to plenty of mid-match rest.
In gold position are Newcastle, who’ve actually drawn fewer fouls than anyone except Manchester City so far. They’ve therefore had to kick their way to the top of our medal table in their apparent quest for breathing space, committing more fouls than all but three teams.
Three new medallists today means there’s no change at the top: the race for our final top three will go right down to the wire.
- On Monday it’s the final event, where we’ll name and shame the teams whose heads drop when the going gets tough
- Ball of Shame Decathlon Day #8: The 10 Premier League players who hit and hope
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #7: The 10 Premier League players who go to ground easily
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #6: The 10 Premier League clubs who shoot less when they’re winning
- Ball of Shame Decathlon #5: The top Premier League stars who spend the least amount of time on the pitch
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #4: Who tops the table for least amount of shots per goal?
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #3: The 10 Premier League players who last the least amount of time on the pitch
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #2: Find out who wins gold as the Premier League’s lowest profile strikers
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #1: Find out who wins gold as the Premier League’s biggest benchwarmer