We’re onto the final event in our #BallofShame Decathlon and it’s another team award today. Previously we looked at teams who take their foot off the gas when they go ahead, but now we’re turning our attention to those whose heads drop when they fall behind.
Below are the teams who’ve shot the least frequently when in losing positions during the first half of the Premier League season.
Cardiff scoop up the bronze medal, which should horrify new boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer given his fame for coming up with late goals as a player. With only Fulham have conceding more opening goals than his new charges, he’ll likely be needing to administer some tough love before too long.
Injury-ravaged West Ham just edge into second place, with the solitary point they’ve claimed from the twelve matches where they’ve been in losing positions a clear indictment of their lacklustre attempts to get back into games. They’ve managed to score just one equaliser in the Premier League this season.
Having already won the gold earlier in our Decathlon for coasting when they were ahead, Stoke clearly also have problems focusing on the task at hand when they fall behind too. By the process of elimination, Mark Hughes’ men play their best football when they’re drawing, which is hardly a recipe for success.
That’s your lot, folks – it’s been emotional. More medals for Cardiff and Stoke will surely affect our overall standings.
- Check back tomorrow morning when we’ll be giving a complete run-down of our final leaderboard and crowning the winners of our #BallofShame Decathlon.
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #1: Find out who wins gold as the Premier League’s biggest benchwarmer
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #2: Find out who wins gold as the Premier League’s lowest profile strikers
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #3: The 10 Premier League players who last the least amount of time on the pitch
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #4: Who tops the table for least amount of shots per goal?
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #6: The 10 Premier League clubs who shoot less when they’re winning
- Ball of Shame Decathlon event #7: The 10 Premier League players who go to ground easily
- Ball of Shame Decathlon #5: The top Premier League stars who spend the least amount of time on the pitch
- Ball of Shame Decathlon Day #8: The 10 Premier League players who hit and hope
- Ball of Shame Decathlon Day #9: Which Premier League clubs rack up the most injury time?