Liverpool and Man City are scoring at a ridiculous rate, Arsenal still haven’t had their annual collapse, Man United are a mid-table side and Vincent Tan hasn’t done anything vaguely ridiculous for about 10 days – you don’t need anymore proof that the Premier League is a little crazy.
That’s why these Stupid Punts make for interesting viewing. Yes, we mock them in the office and have a laugh at them in the pub, but with a small dose of luck and a bit of football madness and not only will these punters arrive in the Punting Hall of Fame, they’ll have a healthy few quid in their back pocket.
This week, plenty more people are trying to earn their place in the Punting Hall of Fame and The Paddy Power Blog is here to give you a few stat bombs to accompany your craziest bets.
Scorecast: Christian Benteke to score first and Aston Villa to beat Liverpool 2-0
One punter is on at 450/1
- Aston Villa have won 2-0 away at Liverpool just once before, almost 60 years ago in October 1952
- Christian Benteke’s goal against Arsenal on Monday was his first goal in almost 15 hours of Premier League football, although he does have three goals in three games against Liverpool
- Liverpool have failed to score at home just once all season, and have averaged comfortably more than 2.5 goals a game at Anfield
Liverpool’s goal-scoring form at home is impressive and only looks insignificant when you compare it to City’s domination up the road at the Etihad. It would take a huge effort by Villa to keep a clean sheet and there’s an awful lot on this bet relying on this season’s serial goal-dodger Christian Benteke. Here are his shots in the league this season (via Squawka.com)
Scorecast: Steven Caulker to score first and Cardiff to beat Man City 1-0
One punter has £1 on at 750/1
- Cardiff have beaten Manchester City away from home just once in their history, a 2-1 victory in October 1961
- Man City have gone 62 Premier League games since they failed to score and lost at the Etihad – that was a 3-0 defeat to Arsenal in 2010
- Steven Caulker has a Premier League average of one goal every 24 hours, after notching four goals in two-and-a-half seasons
The only thing harder to believe than City getting beat at home in their current form, is believing that they didn’t score. The only team to come away from the Etihad with anything this season were the European Champions Bayern Munich, and it has been more than three years since anyone kept a clean sheet and beat City in the league on their turf.
Scorecast: Nemanja Vidic to score first and Man United to beat Chelsea 5-1
One punter has £2 on at 4000/1
- Nemanja Vidic is a threat in the air from set pieces but he hasn’t scored a league goal from 14 appearances this season, and 86 per cent (six out of seven) of his shots have been off target
- Manchester United have beaten Chelsea 5-1 just once before, but it was in a home game almost 76 years ago
- The last side to beat Chelsea 5-1 at the Bridge were Watford in May 1986
Jose Mourinho’s 69 game unbeaten run in the league at Stamford Bridge looks fairly comfortable if the odds are anything to go by this weekend, and no Manchester United team has ever scored at Chelsea when The Special One has been in charge.
It would take something pretty miraculous to change that, but this bet might not be it…
- Have your own effort of making the Punting Hall of Fame with all the latest Premier League odds here: Desktop | Mobile