An FA Cup game on Friday is rare enough, but that’s what we have been treated to this week and boy, has the excitement gone to a few heads.
The prospect of a giant-killing has got punters giddy and the craziest bets have been rolled out for the fourth round of the competition. If there was ever a time you needed a huge dose of luck from the footballing Gods, this is it, and these punters are banking on an upset sending them to the Punting Hall of Fame. The wad of cash in their back pockets should cushion their landing.
Here are a few stat bombs to accompany your craziest FA Cup bets this week.
Scorecast: Leon Clarke to score first and Coventry to beat Arsenal 1-0
One punter is on at 450/1
- Coventry have beaten Arsenal 1-0 away from home twice in their history – both times in October. Once in 1969 and once in 1983
- Leon Clarke is Cov’s in-form man with six goals in his last seven games
- It has been 20 years since Arsenal lost an FA Cup fourth round game at home – League One Bolton beat them 3-1 in a replay
One punter is hoping that Arsenal’s title charge means Arsene Wenger’s men take one eye off their FA Cup game with Coventry, and slip up on Friday. It might be a crazy bet but if Coventry are to win it is likely to be 1-0, and if you’re looking for a Cov goal, look no further than Leon Clarke.
Scorecast: Luis Suarez to score first but Bournemouth to win 4-1
Three punters are on at 1000/1
- At home Luis Suarez has averaged a Premier League goal every 48 minutes this season
- These sides have met twice in Merseyside in the FA Cup and Liverpool have won 4-1 on both occasions – in 1968 and 1927
- The last team to get beaten 4-1 at home by Bournemouth was Luton Town in a League One match in 2008
Brendan Rodgers will be confident that the FA Cup is a decent chance for Liverpool to get their hands on some silverware, but three punters are backing their hunt for the cup to finish in emphatic style. This game has a short history of 4-1 results but backing it to go Bournemouth’s way is hard to believe.
Scorecast: Davide Faraoni to score first and Watford to beat Man City 4-0
One punter has £1 on at 4000/1
- Watford have a 27 per cent win rate at Manchester City but haven’t beaten them in Manchester since 1987
- It has been 13 years since anyone beat Man City 4-0 in Manchester – Wimbledon were the victors in a 2001 Championship match
- Faroni has a 10 per cent strike rate in the Championship this season – 20 shots in total, and two goals
Bayern Munich are the only side to come away from the Etihad this season with something to show for their efforts and they’re the champions of Europe. Watford aren’t quite up to their level.
Backing Watford to win is crazy enough, backing them to thump the Premier League favourites 4-0 is simply a Stupid Punt.
- Have your own effort of making the Punting Hall of Fame with all the latest FA Cup odds here: Desktop | Mobile