Move over Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton, there’s a much more entertaining SAS currently in the Premier League. While Chris Sutton is, incredibly, apparently still playing – albeit for Wroxham reserves in the Ryman League Division 1 North – and Alan Shearer is boring us with his tactical incompetence on the BBC, Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge are firing Liverpool into genuine title contention.
- Luis Suarez has played in 19 games for Liverpool this season and scored in 12 of them
- Daniel Sturridge has played in 16 league games this season and scored in an incredible 14 of them
- That means Sturridge has scored in 88 per cent of Liverpool games he has featured in, compared to Suarez’s record of 63 per cent
The bookies are running scared of Luis Suarez and with good reason. The striker is the first Liverpool player to score 20+ goals in successive seasons since Robbie Fowler in 1996 and nobody in Premier League history had managed to rack up 20 goals in so few games. It took Suarez just 15 matches to reach that tally. We don’t blame the traders for ducking for cover every time Suarez takes to the field. Paddy’s been taking a panning at the hands of the Kop hero this season. But while Suarez has grabbed the headlines, the other member of Liverpool’s ‘SAS’, Daniel Sturridge, has been putting more money in punter’s pockets.
- Daniel Sturridge has scored first in five of Liverpool’s games this season, Luis Suarez has scored first on six occasions
- If you backed Sturridge to score first every week you would have a profit of 29 per cent, compared to a profit of just six per cent if you were putting the same stake on Luis Suarez
- More impressively you’d be up 70 per cent if you backed Sturridge each-way every week, compared to being just 37 per cent up if you backed Suarez
Consequently, you could do far worse than backing Sturridge each-way to score first against Arsenal this weekend at odds of 5/1. The other good news for punters is Paddy has been best price on Sturridge the most often this season and you’d have won 27 per cent more with PP than Bet365 on the English striker.
- Are you backing Dancing Daniel?Check out Sturridge’s latest odds against Arsenal here: Desktop | Mobile
Incredibly though, both Suarez and Sturridge (and the whole Arsenal team!) are streets behind one man…the prolific Martin Skrtel! The defender has scored twice this season but his average price has been 30/1 meaning you’d be up £304 if you stuck a fiver e/w on him every week. The centre-back is a 33/1 chance to open the scoring against Arsenal, and with goals against Fulham and Chelsea this year, Skrtel might have his target locked on London.
- Skrtel, Suarez or Sturridge? Put your money where your mouth is with the latest odds here: Desktop | Mobile