Everybody loves to chase the gold, and – aside from going for a pint and some curry chips with Jennifer Lawrence – there aren’t many better feelings than clicking a juicy bet at massive odds.
Turning a pound coin into £400 isn’t easy though and these bets take skill, courage, a little bit of nous and truckload of luck. We’re preparing the hot tub in Punting Hall of Fame and the champagne is on ice, now all you need is to show us your balls with a stroke of punting genius.
Here are a few stat bombs to accompany your craziest bets on the Premier League this weekend.
Scorecast: Kenwyne Jones to score first and Cardiff to beat Aston Villa 4-0
One punter has stuck £1 on at 300/1
- Cardiff have beaten Aston Villa 4-0 at home once before in their history – in a league game in October 1969
- Kenwyne Jones has a 20 per cent strike rate for Cardiff, scoring one goal from his five attempts in two starts for the Bluebirds
- The last time Cardiff won 4-0 at home was in a Championship game against Burnley in October 2012
A win for Cardiff would drag Aston Villa right into the relegation battle and although Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are being backed to win, the 4-0 scoreline is a bit adventurous. Kenwyne Jones scored the winner against Norwich less than a fortnight ago, and if he opens the scoring in South Wales this Stupid Punt is well and truly on.
Scorecast: Robin van Persie to score first and Man Utd to beat Arsenal 4-2
One punter is on at 300/1
- Robin van Persie has scored in each of the last five meetings between these two sides – twice for Arsenal and three times for Man Utd.
- Man United have beaten Arsenal 4-2 in London twice before. Once in 1983 and again in 2005 when Roy Keane started on Patrick Vieira and John O’Shea scored a delightful chip
- Manchester United have only scored four goals in a league match once under David Moyes – the first game of the season against Swansea
If there’s one man you want to be backing to score in this fixture it’s probably Robin van Persie, who will no doubt get a ‘warm’ welcome at the Emirates. This fixture has seen a couple of 4-2 scorelines in recent times but it would take a big effort from David Moyes’ side to make this Stupid Punt click on current form.
Scorecast: Darren Bent to score first but Liverpool to beat Fulham 5-1
One punter has £1 on at 400/1
- Liverpool have beaten Fulham 5-1 as recently as 2006 when Robbie Fowler scored the opener at Anfield
- In the league this season Darren Bent has averaged an attempt on goal just once every 61 minutes of play
- The last team to win 5-1 away to Fulham was Everton in October 1950
It isn’t too difficult to envisage Liverpool coming out on top at Craven Cottage and it isn’t crazy to back them to win 5-1. What makes this a Stupid Punt is Darren bent opening the scoring for Fulham. The striker is hardly having a prolific season, and despite Liverpool’s defensive woes, they have rarely been slow out of the blocks this year.
- Have your own effort of making the Punting Hall of Fame with all the latest Premier League odds here: Desktop | Mobile