In life there are many big gambles, and when the odds are stacked against you, you need a healthy dolloping of skill and luck to pull through. Take turning up at the Brit Awards in Lucky Pants and trying to get past security. A fair bit of skill and a whole lot of luck later and you get a funny video and a pissed off global star called Pharrell. What coud be better?
The chance of you annoying a pop star with a huge football scorecast is very unlikely, however punters are banking on the same slice of luck treating them favourably this weekend. We love chasing the dream and the Punting Hall of Fame is eagerly awaiting another entrant.
Here are three massive punts this weekend and a few stat bombs to accompany your craziest bets on the Premier League.
Scorecast: Joe Ledley to score first and Crystal Palce to beat Man Utd 1-0
Three punters are on at 200/1
- Joe Ledley has played six games in 2014 and scored in three of them – two of those goals were the first of the game
- Crystal Palace have just a 16 per cent win rate against Manchester United in their history – although this rises to 22 per cent at home
- The only time Palace have beaten United 1-0 at home was in a league match in November 1980
In the games since Tony Pulis took charge, Crystal Palace have racked up just two points less than Man United, and despite being tipped to go down, they’ll fancy their chances at Selhurst Park. David Moyes might have one eye on the Champions League in midweek, but surely United couldn’t fail to score and lose against the side that’s 19th in the league? Surely?
Scorecast: Phil Jagielka to score first and Everton to beat Chelsea 3-2
One punter has £1 on at 850/1
- Everton have beaten Chelsea 3-2 on four previous occasions – in 1909, 1933, 1934 and 1978. These victories all came on Merseyside however
- Phil Jagielka has played 34-and-a-half hours of league football this year without finding the back of the net. Although his last league goal did come in London, against Tottenham
- The last time Everton scored three goals away to Chelsea and won the game was in a 3-1 victory in March 1913
Jose Mourinho’s unbeaten league record at Stamford Bridge stands at 72 games and it would take something special for Roberto Martinez’s men to end that with a 3-2 victory. They snatched a 3-3 draw at the Bridge in 2009 but this punter needs them to win, and is hoping Phil Jagielka breaks the deadlock.
Scorecast: Raheem Sterling to score first and Liverpool to beat Swansea 8-0
One punter has £1 on at 1500/1
- Liverpool beat Swansea 8-0 at Anfield in an FA Cup game in January 1990. John Barnes opened the scoring and Ian Rush bagged a hat-trick
- Swansea also lost to Monaco 8-0 in the Cup Winner’s Cup in 1991 and in the league they were beaten 8-1 by Fulham in 1938
- Raheem Sterling has four goals in 11 league appearances at Anfield, notching an impressive 17 per cent conversion rate
Not many teams can say they have been beaten 8-0 twice in the last 14 years, but that’s one record Swansea have to their name. If Liverpool can inflict another 8-0 hammering with Raheem Sterling starting the rout this punter will be hitting the dance floor in style on Sunday night.