Win or placed horses got a mention in all bar one of Wednesday’s 60 second guide. Here’s what the stats say on World Hurdle day. The clock is ticking ….
1.30 JLT Novices Chase 2m 4f
- Irish trained runners are three from three
- 7 of the 9 top-three finishers won their previous race
Felix Yonger heads the market to keep the Team Mullins’ bandwagon rolling while Oscar Whisky looks to get the doubters off his back for Henderson and Geraghty. AP McCoy has yet to ride a winner but Taquin Du Seuil and Wonderful Charm are improving.
2.05 Pertemps Final 3m
- Only 1 of the last 11 favourites have won
- None of the last 10 winners started at single-figure odds
Philip Hobbs has five runners and top-weight Fingal Bay has been put up as the handicap snip of the meeting. Bt the stats are against the market leader and If In Doubt ridden by Tony McCoy. Utopie Des Bordes is about 25/1 but was second in a key trial at Haydock earlier this season in a race where paying the first 5 places.
2.40 Ryanair Chase 2m 5f
- Three of the last four winners had won at the Festival before
- An Irish-trained horses has yet to win this in nine years
A race for the market leaders with seven of the last nine winners coming from the first two in the betting. Both Al Ferof and Dynaste swerve the Gold Cup for a crack at this while last year’s Jewson Chase winner Benefficient tries to break Ireland’s duck.
3.20 World Hurdle 3m
- 8 of the last 11 winners won on their last start
- No five-year old has ever won a World Hurdle
One of the races of the Festival billed as a smash up between Annie Power & four-time champ Big Buck’s. But Rule the World and At Fishers Cross could take advantage if there is any chink in their armour and have definite place claims.
4.00 Byrne Group Plate 2m 4f
- 24 of the last 26 winners had run in the last six weeks
- Only two favourites have won this since 1985
A graveyard for favourite backers with only two market leaders obliging since 1985. Venetia Williams woin this last year with Carrickboy and saddles Shangani who won at Newbury at the start of the month. Sraid Padraig has been a whisper for the Irish all week.
4.40 Kim Muir H’cap Chase 3m 1f
- The last five winners carried 11st 6lb or more
- No Irish winner for 31 years
Donald McCain has trained two winners of this race and has picked this race for Indian Castle from two other entries. Nina rides the consistent Cause of Causes who was second last time out in the Paddy Power Chase at Leopardstown over Christmas. Nina Carberry rides.