Tottenham are currently suffering the embarrassment of being behind Manchester United in the Premier League table, but they can quickly resolve that with three points at home to Championship-bound Sunderland on Monday night.
Now we enjoy Mondays as much as a swift kick to the plums, but it certainly makes the working week easier once you’ve won a few quid on Monday night. With that in mind, here are five bets on the Tottenham v Sunderland clash that could put some notes in your wallet on Monday.
You will note a slight Tottenham-bias to this piece. That isn’t because we support Tottenham, nor is it to do with any loyalty to any other team. It’s just because Sunderland are desperately poor.
Tottenham to win 3/5
- Tottenham have won five of the last seven league games against Sunderland, drawing the other two
- Sunderland have won just one of the last 15 matches against Spurs at White Hart Lane and are currently on a five-game losing streak away from home
- The Black Cats have actually won just once at White Hart Lane in the last 38 years
Tottenham to win to nil 13/8
- Spurs have played seven home games against bottom half sides this season and kept clean sheets in five of them
- Tottenham have kept four clean sheets in their last six games at White Hart Lane
- Just three sides in the league have a worse attacking record on the road than Sunderland
Tottenham/Tottenham HT/FT bet 7/5
- Sunderland have been behind at half time in 53 per cent of their away games this year
- They have also conceded the first goal in 16 of their 30 Premier League games this year
- When Spurs have scored first at home this season they haven’t lost, winning 70 per cent of those games
Christian Eriksen to score first 15/2
- Eriksen has four goals in Tottenham’s last five home games
- Those four goals have come in just 352 minutes of football for Eriksen on home turf since the last day of February, giving him an average of a goal every 88 minutes
- The midfielder has hit 70 per cent of his 27 shots on target this year and has a conversion rate of 19 per cent
Card index: 45 to 50 points inclusive 11/2
- Over the last ten games between Tottenham and Sunderland, there have been 36 yellow cards and one sending off. That’s an average of 38.5 card index points a game, however in three of the last four games the index points have been 40, 40 and 65
- This season, just two sides have picked up more bookings at home than Tottenham. Spurs have averaged exactly 25 card index points for every game at White Hart Lane
- Sunderland have averaged just short of this (23.6) in each away game this campaign and with both sides desperate for points this game could get a little tasty