The Punting Hall of Fame is a magical place where dreams are made. Every day starts with a fry-up, nobody ever puts Mike and Molly on the TV and Piers Morgan isn’t on Twitter. Life is bliss. The doors are wide open, but it’s been a while since anyone took a seat.
The Premier League is getting down to the business end of the season though, and that means we’re probably due a few crazy results. Here are three massive punts this weekend and a few stat bombs to accompany the most ludicrous bets on the top flight.
Scorecast: Martin Skrtel to score first and Liverpool to beat Man City 5-1
One punter has £1 on at 700/1
- Liverpool have never beaten Man City 5-1 in their history, although have beaten them 5-2 twice on home soil. Once in 1982 and once back in 1900
- Martin Skrtel has scored six goals from just 12 shots this season, giving him a conversion rate of 50 per cent! Have some of that Luis Suarez
- It has been more than a decade since Man City last conceded exactly five goals on the road. In March 2003 Chelsea thumped the Citizens 5-0 in the league
Liverpool have beaten Arsenal, Everton and Tottenham by four goals at Anfield already this season so it isn’t surprising to see punters coming in for them again, despite City being the odds-on favourites for the league. It’s a clash of the unstoppable force and the immovable object, and when something has to give it might result in one crazy bet clicking.
Scorecast: Romelu Lukaku to score first and Everton to beat Sunderland 6-0
One punter is on at 800/1
- Romelu Lukaku has five goals in his last seven games for the Toffees and has hit 66 per cent of his shots on target in the league this season
- Everton haven’t beaten Sunderland 6-0 in 175 attempts, but they have beaten the Black Cats by a six-goal margin on three occasions. The Merseyside club won 7-1 in 2007, 1914 and 1893
- The last time Sunderland conceded exactly six goals on home soil, Birmingham City beat them 6-1 almost to the date 56 years ago
Sunderland look like their Championship-bound while Everton are eyeing up some tasty Champions League football next season. The gulf in class and form is getting ploughed into by punters, and although this Stupid Punt is bigger odds than the Liverpool v City one, you get the feeling there’s more of a chance of the Toffees running riot on Wearside.
Scorecast: Emmanuel Adebayor to score first but West Brom to beat Tottenham 7-1
One punter has £1 on at 1500/1
- West Brom’s previous biggest win over Tottenham was a 5-0 thumping at home in February 1927
- The last time the Hawthorns crowd saw their side bag seven was in March 2007 when the Baggies thumped Barnsley 7-0 in a Championship clash
- Adebayor to open the scoring isn’t a bad part of the bet. The striker has 10 goals in just 16 appearances this season and is Tottenham’s most clinical forward with a conversion rate of 36 per cent
West Brom have won just one of the last 12 home games in all competitions, but that little stat isn’t doing anything to put off one crazy Baggies’ fan. It has been seven years since the Hawthorns witnessed their side bagging seven goals and Spurs have the third best away record in the league. This is simply the craziest bet you’ll see all weekend.
- Have your own effort of making the Punting Hall of Fame with all the latest Premier League odds here: Desktop | Mobile