Easter might be over but it would appear there are still a few punters suffering from a sugar rush after that chocolate binge. That’s the only reason we can find, to explain some of this weekend’s craziest bets that Paddy Power punters have placed, including Liverpool to thump title-rivals Chelsea 5-1 and Man United to win 8-0 under new gaffer Ryan Giggs!
Clicking a huge gamble requires skill, knowledge and a truckload of luck, but it is far from impossible. That’s why we have the Punting Hall Of Fame, to celebrate those punters who placed incredible bets and defeated the odds.
Here are three of the more outlandish bets in the book for this weekend’s Premier League games and some stats that try to back them up.
Scorecast: Martin Skrtel to score first and Liverpool to beat Chelsea 5-1
One punter has £1 on at 550/1
- Martin Skrtel has seven goals to his name already this season and 57 per cent of them have come against teams from the Big Smoke
- The last time Chelsea lost 5-1 on the road was at Anfield in September 1996. Robbie Fowler opened the scoring and Patrick Berger bagged a brace
- Liverpool have beaten Chelsea 5-1 at home twice before. Once in that 1996 game, and then previously in January 1910
Liverpool have smashed Arsenal 5-1 and Tottenham 5-0 already this season so it wouldn’t be a shock to see them hammer another London-based side this year. Especially given that Jose Mourinho is planning on playing a weakened side, with one eye on Wednesday’s Champions League semi-final. Throw in the league’s most prolific defender and maybe this punt isn’t so crazy.
Scorecast: Sergio Aguero to score first, but Crystal Palace to beat Man City 4-1
One punter is on at 1250/1
- Crystal Palace have never beaten Man City 4-1 at home, although they did beat them 4-0 at Selhurst Park in a 1995 League Cup match. They also scored four against City in Manchester in 1926, but they lost that game 11-4
- City haven’t lost an away game 4-1 since 2000 when West Ham united did the damage at Upton Park
- Sergio Aguero has 16 league goals to his names this season and has found the onion bag, on average, every 84 minutes in the top flight this year
Tony Pulis is working wonders at Crystal Palace but with City desperately needing the points to keep up the pressure on league-leaders Liverpool, this result looks, at best, very unlikely. While Pulis has tightened up Palace’s defence, it’s almost impossible to stop Sergio Ageuro scoring, but expecting the Eagles to recover and win 4-1 is wishful thinking.
Scorecast: Wayne Rooney to score first and Man United to beat Norwich 8-0
One punter has £1 on at 1250/1
- Man United have never score more than five goals past the Canaries. The Red Devils did beat them 5-0 in 1979 and 1934 but have never scored more than that
- Wayne Rooney has 15 goals in 28 appearances this season, giving him an average of a goal every 157 minutes of football
- The last team to concede eight goals in a league match was Arsenal in 2011, and on that occasion Rooney scored a hat-trick
United begin life under interim manager Ryan Giggs with a home match against relegation-threatened Norwich City. The home side might not have anything to play for in terms of league position but the players will be keen to impress the new man in charge while the fans expect better after David Moyes got his P45 in the post. An 8-0 win might sound stupid, but could it really happen?
- Have your own effort of making the Punting Hall of Fame with all the latest Premier League odds here: Desktop | Mobile