‘Check out Redcar on iPhone!!!’
‘Late notice but could we make a story out of this for the Guineas? It will be way ahead of anyone else.’
‘Could we get something on the blog about this???’
Just some of the comments in a giddy email thread on Friday morning in Sportsbook at Paddy Power. They’re excited about some new smartphone horse racing stuff. So, instead of the Paddy Power Blog team casually browsing Twitter to see who’s being a racist, we’re left to tell you all about it. Here goes..
Paddy Power’s new Betting-in-Running horse racing makeover
It’s a bank holiday weekend. There’s shenanigans planned, possibly a bit of horizontal disco and another potentially explosive Premier League weekend. Things look pretty damn good. Except for some horse racing fans with worn-out thumbs from all the unnecessary clicking, swooshing and thumbing around betting apps, especially trying to pick a winner in the punter carnage that was Punchestown.
Well, there’s a couple of new geeks working at Paddy Power. And, until this morning, we weren’t completely sure what they did other than hastily closing down Google Image searches for Rachel Riley when we approached (see below for evidence).
Turns out the geeks were spending months sweating on new smartphone functionality to make Paddy Power’s mobile horse racing product the best in the business.
Here’s what the changes mean for horse racing customers on Paddy Power’s mobile apps…
#1. Bet and watch
- NERD SAYS: Paddy Power is now the only bookie with in-line viewing capability on Android and native iPhone.
- WE SAY: You can now bet and watch at the same time – you aren’t kicked off the racecard into the racing live-stream viewer. The racecard and the stream are both there on the same page. ON THE SAME PAGE!! In your face, Steve Jobs. Oh, he’s dead. Sorry. In your face, Jonathan Ive.
#2. Scroll with it
- NERD SAYS: Improved navigation to other races within the meeting.
- WE SAY: There’s a new layout for tips and verdict. All the races for that meeting are listed on the screen, so you’re just one tap or swipe away to any race in that meeting. You can scroll left and right to get to the one you want. The streaming play button is more prominent too and it shows a message regarding availability of a stream for a race.
#3. Looks better
- NERD (WITH LIMITED ENGLISH) SAYS: Better display of form and tips.
- WE SAY: Looks nicer and more modern. Slick-ass.
#4. Smooth as Kylie’s bum
- NERD SAYS: Improved transition from Pre-Betting-in-Running (BiR) to Betting-in-Running.
- WE SAY: When on the pre-BiR card playing the stream, once it goes live, the pre-BiR markets simply drop off the screen when the race starts. Don’t need to re-load to see the correct market.
Plus the whole thing has got a design makeover, so it looks less car crash.
So, for this weekend, this means you can watch our new inline stream (without being bounced out of the betting) on all Android devices while on iPhone don’t miss top-quality racing with the Guineas weekend at Newmarket.
- Paddy Power offers live streaming on all UK and Ireland horse racing on all our platforms.
- Our new inline streaming is available on every racecourse on Android while on our iPhone app the new functionality is available for now on Racing UK tracks.
- LIFEHACK: How to bag yourself up to a 100% BONUS on winning football accumulators
- LIFEHACK: Now You Can Cancel Pending Withdrawals with Paddy Power