There is plenty to play for at both ends of the Premier League and that means there’s still a chance of making a late swoop into the Punting Hall Of Fame. As the dithering cliche-firing pundits on Match of the Day like to point out, ‘Football is a funny old game’, and although quotes like this make us die a bit inside, crazy results aren’t entirely uncommon.
On Tuesday night, one Irish student nailed an 200/1 shot when Real Madrid beat the reigning European champions Bayern Munich on their own patch. She, unsurprisingly, went straight into our Punting Hall of Fame.
Clicking a huge gamble requires skill, knowledge and a truckload of luck, but it is far from impossible.
Here are three of the more outlandish bets in the book for this weekend’s Premier League games and some stats that try to back them up.
Scorecast: Yaya Toure to score first but Everton to beat Man City 4-2
One punter has £10 on at 475/1
- Everton have beaten Manchester City 4-2 twice in their history – once at home in 1960 and before that away in 1957
- The Toffees haven’t won a home game 4-2 since 2000, when Joe-Max Moore bagged a brace as Everton beat Watford
- Yaya Toure has seven goals in his last eight Premier League appearances for Man City and scored the opener at Goodison in this league fixture three years ago
Everton need a win to keep up their hopes of Champions League football next year, and the result would be a massive boost for Merseyside rivals Liverpool in the title race as well. Yaya Toure isn’t a bad call to score first considering his recent form, but Everton can’t boast of too many 4-2 victories over City, and that makes this a Stupid Punt.
Scorecast: Connor Wickham to score first and Sunderland to beat Man Utd 3-0
One punter has 50p on at 900/1
- Connor Wickham has five goals in his last three games for Sunderland, finding the onion bag, on average, every 49 minutes
- Sunderland have beaten Man United 3-0 on three previous occasions, but the last time was 68 years ago in 1946. Before that they won 3-0 in 1920 and 1909
- It has been 46 years since Sunderland last won at Old Trafford – a 2-1 victory for the Black Cats in May 1968
Not even David Moyes had a chance of breaking the Sunderland hoodoo at Old Trafford, but one punter fancies that record to be emphatically smashed this weekend. Connor Wickham has found a red-hot streak of form at Sunderland and if he bags the opener in Manchester, expect this punter to be getting more than a little giddy.
Scorecast: Steven Gerrard to score first, but Crystal Palace to beat Liverpool 4-1
One punter has £1 on at 1750/1
- Steven Gerrard has bagged 13 goals this term, making it his second-most prolific league season for Liverpool, his best being 16 goals in the 08/09 campaign
- In 41 meetings between Liverpool and Crystal Palace, only once has it ended 4-1. That result went Liverpool’s way in January 1972
- The Merseyside club have lost 4-1 just once in the last decade – that was a defeat to Chelsea in October 2005, and Steven Gerrard scored that day as well
The last time Liverpool lost 4-1 in the league, it was to a London club and Steven Gerrard did find the back of the net. Unfortunately the circumstances were slightly different but one punter might be using that 2005 match against Chelsea to base his logic on for this Stupid Punt. Or maybe he just really loves Crystal Palace?
- Have your own effort of making the Punting Hall of Fame with all the latest Premier League odds here: Desktop | Mobile