The Champions League Final is here and for many punters it is one last swipe at attempting to click a massive gamble before a cheeky fortnight of form study, stat crunching excitement before the World Cup. That’s just one more chance to enter our 2013/14 Punting Hall Of Fame before we open the doors to the Rio version. You get all the same benefits – the fame, the glory and the winnings.
Clicking a huge gamble requires skill, knowledge and a truckload of luck, but it is far from impossible as plenty of punters have shown throughout the season to Paddy’s expense.
Here are three of the more outlandish bets in the book for this weekend’s massive Champions League showdown between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, and some stats that try to back them up.
Correct score: Real Madrid 4-4 Atletico Madrid
32 punters are on at 350/1 – and one of them has £20 on
- The European Cup Final has been played 59 times and has never ended 4-4
- Similarly the two Madrid sides have played each other 46 times and never drawn 4-4
- Real have smashed exactly four past Atletico on six occasions however, in 2012, 2011, 2003, 1999, 1997 and 1994. Atletico have never managed to return that particular favour.
Incredibly 32 punters have all had the same thought – and that premonition is an absolute goal-fest of a Champions League Final which ends up going to extra-time. If that’s not all the drama you can handle one of them has also stuck a score on it to return more than £7k. Not a bad way to treat yourself to a summer holiday courtesy of Paddy, we’ve heard Brazil is particularly nice this time of year…
Pepe to score a hat-trick
One punter has £1 on at 500/1
- Ferenc Puskas, Alfredo Di Stefano and Pierino Prati are the only three men to have previously bagged hat-tricks in the final of the European Cup. The last one was scored by Prati in 1969
- Pepe has never scored a hat-trick in his professional career, but has bagged a brace before for Porto in their 3-2 loss to Rangers in a 2005 Champions League clash
- The defender is coming off the back of his most prolific season in front of goal for Madrid, scoring four league goals in 30 appearances and boasting a shot accuracy of 47 per cent
Pepe’s name would go down in history if he was to become just the fourth player to score a hat-trick on the biggest night in European football. Unfortunately for this punter, Pepe has gone 18 months without a Champions League goal and is more likely to have his name in the referee’s notebook than on the scoreboard.
Scorecast: Sergio Ramos to score first and Real Madrid to win 5-3
One punter has 10p on at 2500/1
- Sergio Ramos has scored in five matches this season and in four of them they were the first goal for Madrid. Five of his 11 attempts on goal in the Champions League this season have been on target
- The last time Real Madrid scored exactly five goals in a Champions League game they beat APOEL 5-2 in the group stages in December of the 2012/13 campaign
- The last team to score five against Atletico Madrid was Barcelona – three months before Diego Simeone took charge in 2011. Barca ran out 5-0 winners and Lionel Messi helped himself to a hat-trick
Simeone has done a great job of tightening Atletico up at the back and since he took over they have conceded more than three goals on just two occasions – once to Barca and once to Real. The Spanish champions can also boast of the best defensive record in the league this season, conceding just 26 goals, and keeping clean sheets in 53 per cent of their games. So expecting Real to score five past them, and banking on Sergio Ramos to get the first is crazier than a bag of racoons.
- Have your own effort of making the Punting Hall of Fame with all the latest Champions League Final odds here: Desktop