France and Germany will be hoping to make it a European double on Monday night as they take on Nigeria and Algeria in the last 16.
Unbuckle, settle down, and get stuck into Monday’s bite-size essentials…
France v Nigeria | Brasilia | 5pm
- Karim Benzema has scored three goals in Brazil (Honduras 2, Switzerland 1) as part of his nine goal haul in his last nine games for Les Bleus.
- All eight of France’s goal in this tournament have come from inside the box. #Foxinthebox
- Nigeria have only won one (1-0 v Bosnia) of their last 11 World Cup games.
Germany v Algeria | Porto Alegre | 9pm
- Germany have lost both times they’ve faced Algeria – the most famous being 2-1 in 1982. #Giantkillers
- Thomas Muller has scored nine goals in nine WC appearances for his country including four to date in Brazil.
- Algeria’s six goals have been scored by five different players at World Cup 2014.
- Team America manager Jurgen Klinsmann has told his players and their families to change their flight times to after the World Cup final on July 13. The States face Belgium on Tuesday for a place in the last eight of the world’s biggest soccer ball tournament. Defender Omar Gonzalez said: We all believe in this team. We plan on being here a few more weeks.” The former German international was initially criticised in the States for saying that they could not win the tournament.
- In another political about face Ghana’s president John Mahama who flew $3m in unpaid appearance fees to the players last week now wants an investigation into why the national side didn’t win a single game in Brazil. Cameroon have also said they will investigate their side’s poor performance while British PM David Cameron wasn’t available for comment last night.