The football season is back and, just four weeks after the World Cup ended, we can get stuck into our weekend of thrills and spills again. To celebrate we have compiled the wackiest bets we can find in Paddy’s book, as punters try to kick-start the new season by clicking a ridiculous punt.
Winning a bet at massive odds takes a delicate cocktail of skill, courage and luck, and it often borders on the super-thin line between crazy and genius. At the Paddy Power Blog we award punters with the cajones to go for some of the more bananas bets and we salute them in our Punting Hall of Fame.
The Hall awaits anyone who manages to click a monster punt, and here are three of the most outrageous bets this weekend.
Scorecast: Jordan Rhodes to score first and Blackburn and Cardiff to draw 3-3
One punter has stuck £5 on at 200/1
- In 62 meetings against each other, Blackburn and Cardiff have never drawn 3-3. They have drawn 24 per cent of the time, but it’s never been a six-goal thriller
- Last season Blackburn drew four of their 49 games 3-3 – against Watford, Brighton, Sheffield Wednesday and Carlisle. In comparison Cardiff have drawn 3-3 just once in the last three seasons
- Last year Rhodes managed 25 goals in 46 games, with a 56 per cent shot accuracy and a 22 per cent conversion rate in the Championship. He scored twice as many league goals as any other Rovers player last term
Jordan Rhodes is a pretty fair shout to open the scoring in this Championship tie. His stats speak for themselves and his goal-scoring record at this level is very tidy. Blackburn drew an unusual amount of games 3-3 last season and although a regression to the mean is expected, that hasn’t put this punter off backing Rovers to pick up where they left off.
Correct score: Nottingham Forest 0-3 Blackpool
Three punters are on at 275/1
- Blackpool have beaten Forest 3-0 on three occasions in their history – in 1914, 1926 and 1958. They have never won 3-0 away to Forest however
- The Tangerines haven’t won an away game 3-0 in all competitions since December 2009
- And Forest have only been beaten 3-0 at The City ground twice in the last five years – Watford won 3-0 there in January 2013 and almost a year to the day earlier Saints won 3-0 on Forest’s turf
Blackpool fans will know that a 3-0 win on the road is rare enough when you have a fully fit and firing squad, however when you are as depleted as Blackpool are currently, this punt has gone past optimistic to simply ridiculous. It is 56 years since Blackpool managed to beat Forest 3-0 and you’re more likely to see H from Steps perform brain surgery on live TV than Jose Riga’s side strut to a 3-0 win this weekend.
Scorecast: Vincent Kompany to score first and Man City to beat Arsenal 7-0
One punter has £5 on at 4000/1
- The only side to score seven goals in a Community Shield game was the England Professional XI in 1913. They beat an English Amateur XI 7-2 at the Den in a one-sided contest where England internationals Harry Hampton scored four, George Holley two and Harold Fleming one
- Vincent Kompany managed four goals in the Premier League lasts season from 14 attempts – giving the defender a solid conversion rate of 29 per cent
- Never in the history of these two sides has there been a 7-0 scoreline. The largest scoring encounters between them was a 7-3 win for Arsenal in 1956 and City’s 6-3 thumping at the Etihad last December
- World Cup Punting Hall of Fame: Plucking out a 500/1 winner from the madness that was Germany 7-1 Brazil
- Your 2014/15 Premier League fixture list and TV Guide for August
- Net Profit: How you can win free bets all season thanks to Paddy Power’s top goalscorer offer
- Arsenal fans, soak up the Wenger Years: Could this be the season you regain the title?
- Who’s for the chop? Here are the five Premier League managers facing an untimely exit