On Tuesday night one lucky punter from Leeds turned £30 into £4k thanks to his sides 3-1 win over Bournemouth. Four optimistic punts ranging from 22/1 to 500/1 were placed and 90 minutes later he had a cool £4,000 in his back pocket. Not a bad evening’s work at all.
We applaud those crazy bets here at the Blog and Stupid Punt is all about the punters desperate for a seat in the Punting Hall of Fame. Entry is simple. Click a ridiculous-looking punt at crazy odds and the fame, the honour and the glory is all yours. There’s no better feeling that making a bet look inspired in hindsight.
Here are three of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out Paddy’s Premier League book this week and a few stats to back them up.
Correct Score: Man City 0-6 Chelsea
One punter has stuck £10 on at 500/1
- Chelsea have won 6-0 against Man City once in 150 meetings between the two sides. That win was at Stamford Bridge in October 2007 and Didier Drogba (2), Michael Essien, Joe Cole, Salomon Kalou and Andriy Shevchenko got the goals
- It has been more than four years since Chelsea won a game 6-0 away from home. Wigan were the side on the receiving end of a thumping that day in August 2010
- City have never been beaten by six at home in the league. They have been beaten by five on six occasions however – 2-7 West Brom in 1934, 1-6 Middlesbrough in 1938, 1-6 Millwall in 1938, 1-6 Blackpool in 1955, 1-6 West Ham in 1962 and 0-5 Liverpool in 1982
It would be a record-breaking home league defeat for City if Chelsea were to smash six past them on Sunday with no reply. However Jose Mourinho is not known for his swash-buckling displays away to the Citizens and in his managerial career there has never been more than 2.5 goals in six visits to the blue half of Manchester. It would be a massive shock if Chelsea hit the Premier League champs for six, and it would make this punter £5k richer.
Scorecast: Angel Di Maria to score first but Leicester to beat Man Utd 4-1
One punter has got 50p riding on it at 750/1
- Leicester have beaten Man United 4-1 once before in their history. However it was 85 years ago in September 1929 when goals from George Carr, Ernest Hine (2) and Arthur Chandler gave the Foxes the victory
- The Foxes have never won a Premier League game 4-1, although they did beat Leeds 4-0 at home in 2003 and have 4-2 home wins against Tottenham (2001) and Derby (1997)
- Di Maria scored the opener for Man United against QPR, however in La Liga last season he had a shot accuracy of just 29 per cent, and a conversion rate of less than seven per cent – scoring four goals from 58 attempts
Man United’s latest team of Gaal-acticos will be hoping to kick-on from their 4-0 win over QPR at Old Trafford last week, although this Leicester-loving punter has other ideas. The Foxes have held their own in the top flight thus far, taking a point away from Arsenal and Everton at home and many optimistic fan will be hoping they can do the same against United on Sunday. This punter has strayed well beyond optimistic though…
Scorecast: Enner Valencia to score first and West Ham to beat Liverpool 5-0
One punter has £1 on at 2000/1
- In 127 matches between these two sides, West Ham have never won 5-0. However in 1930 they did beat Liverpool 7-0 at Upton Park with Victor Watson bagging four of the goals – get him in your Fantasy Football side!
- It might have been in the Mexican Liga for Pachuca, but last season Valencia racked up an impressive 18 goals in 23 games. He had a 52 per cent shot accuracy and 22 per cent conversion rate which isn’t too shabby at all
- Liverpool have never lost 5-0 away in the Premier League, however West Ham do have two 5-0 home wins in the Premier League to their name. Coventry and Charlton were both thumped 5-0 at Upton Park in April 2000 and December 2000 respectively
Liverpool were surprise losers to Aston Villa at Anfield last week and then struggled to see off Ludogorets in their first Champions League game in five years on Wednesday. Pair that with Valencia scoring a rocket for West Ham in their 2-2 draw with Hull on Monday night and you have a classic recipe for a Stupid Punt like this.