The bean-counters in Power Tower are scarpering after this punter clicked a £2.50 nine-fold to win £10.5k on Wednesday, and now plenty more punters are attempting to join him in the Hall of Fame by clicking crazy bets at ridiculous odds.
Stupid Punt is the place to come for the most outrageous bets we’ve received ahead of the weekend’s football as we dig through the history books to try to back up each punt. It’s a cocktail of nous, luck and bravery that gets you into our Stupid Punt section, but if you never have a dream, how will you ever have a dream come true?
Here are three of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out Paddy’s Premier League book this week and a few stats to back them up.
Scorecast: Danny Welbeck to score first and Arsenal to beat Tottenham 5-2
One punter has stuck £1 on at 300/1
- You don’t have to go that far back to find the last time Arsenal beat Spurs 5-2. In February 2012 Theo Walcott bagged a brace as the Gunners won 5-2 and they dished out the same scoreline to their London rivals the following November. On both occasions however, Tottenham took the lead
- Danny Welbeck has racked up a 50 per cent shot accuracy in the league with Arsenal – four shots from eight attempts hitting the target – and one goal from eight shots gives him a conversion rate of 12.5 per cent
- The Gunners have actually scored five goals past their nearest and least dearest rivals on four occasions. As well as those two 5-2 thumpings in 2012, they won 5-4 a decade ago with Robert Pires getting the decider, and in 1934 they won 5-1 at Highbury. Ted Drake got a hat-trick that day
Plenty of fans are jumping on the Gunners to dish out another 5-2 hammering to their London rivals and that might explain the skinny price on offer. Traders are running for cover as this particular punter hopes Danny Welbeck can kick-start yet another rout.
Scorecast: Romelu Lukaku to score first and Everton to draw 4-4 at Liverpool
One punter has got £1 riding on it at 650/1
- Lukaku has bagged two goals in five games this season. His two goals have come from 10 attempts giving him a 20 per cent conversion rate
- These sides have drawn 4-4 once in 273 games. That was in the North Region War League in 1942 at Goodison Park
- Liverpool have drawn 4-4 once in their Premier League history – the draw with Arsenal at Anfield in 2009 when Andrei Arshavin scored all four. Everton have drawn 4-4 twice in the Premier League – with Man Utd in 2012 and against Leeds in 1999
It isn’t the most common Merseyside Derby scoreline, but 72 years after the one and only 4-4 draw between Liverpool and Everton, one punter fancies them to do it again. Not only that, but he’s banking on Lukaku to get this eight-goal thriller underway. optimistic may be pushing it…
Scorecast: Aaron Cresswell to score first and West Ham to beat Man Utd 4-0
One punter has 35p on at 4000/1
- West Ham have beaten Man Utd 4-0 on two previous occasions. Once in the League Cup in 2010, and before that at Upton Park in a league match on October 30 1926
- You have to go back to December 17 1977 to find the last time Man Utd were beaten 4-0 at Old Trafford. Nottingham Forest were the side that did the damage that day
- Since the start of last season Aaron Cresswell has scored two goals from 25 attempts, that’s a conversion rate of just eight per cent
After shipping five against Leicester last week, one Paddy Power punter is backing United’s defence to have another meltdown against West Ham. United haven’t been beaten 4-0 at home for 37 years, but if there’s one man who can do the job, it’s Big Sam Allardyce. Maybe.
- Punting Hall of Fame: How one punter turned £2.50 into more than £10.5k with a Capital One Cup accumulator
- Arsenal v Tottenham: Can Arsene Wenger Gunner down another new Spurs boss?
- Liverpool v Everton: The Reds show their neighbours no Mersey when they pop round to Anfield
- Fantasy Football tips: Why you’d be madder than a box of frogs not to give Diego Costa the captain’s armband