The Stupid Punt section of the Blog is all about highlighting some of those loopy-looking bets at monster odds. All that’s required to make them click is a little bit of brains, a little bit of balls and a massive dollop of luck. If you never have a dream, how will you ever have a dream come true? And here on the Paddy Power Blog we’re all dreamers.
Look at the punter from County Monaghan last week who managed to turn €1 into €250,000. People probably told him his 10-fold football accumulator was ridiculous. Well look who is sat on a beach, drinking rum and laughing at you now…
There’s a place in the Punting Hall of Fame at stake if you can pull it off. You are the people who make the crazy look inspired and while you have the bravery to toe the line between ridiculous and optimistic, we can only stand back and applaud.
Here are three of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out of Paddy’s Premier League book this week and a few stats to try to back them up.
Scorecast: Steven Fletcher to score first and Sunderland to beat Chelsea 2-0
One punter is on at 350/1
- Sunderland have beaten Chelsea 2-0 at home six times since 1907. Five of them were league games, but the most recent was in a 1985 Milk Cup semi-final in Roker Park
- Fletcher has four goals to his name in the league this season – and has taken just 15 shots. That gives him a pretty impressive conversion rate of 27 per cent. In comparison Sergio Aguero’s conversion rate 19 per cent
- Sunderland have won 2-0 just once at home in the league in the last three years – that was against West Brom in May when Jack Colback and Fabio Borini both got on the scoresheet in the first half
Sunderland were the side that ended Jose Mourinho’s record-breaking unbeaten league run at Stamford Bridge, and one punter is hoping the Black Cats can put a stop to talk of the ‘new invincibles’. Steven Fletcher’s conversion rate is impressive, but it is a little difficult to see Sunderland keeping Chelsea at bay, particularly when they rarely pick up 2-0 wins on their own turf.
- Rotation nation: How Jose has blown apart the squad rotation myth
- Christmas come early if you backed Chelsea for the Premier League – because we’ve paid out!
Scorecast: Stephane Sessegnon to score first and West Brom to beat Arsenal 4-3
One punter has got £1 riding on this at 850/1
- In 132 games between Arsenal and West Brom, it has finished 4-3 just three times. Unfortunately for West Brom, the Gunners won all three – in 1921, 1934, and most recently in 1958 at Highbury
- Similarly West Brom have been involved in just one Premier League game that ended 4-3, but again disappointingly for the Baggies the result went the wrong way. That was in January of this year when a Christian Benteke penalty for Aston Villa gave them the 4-3 victory over West Brom at Villa Park
- Sessegnon has scored just one goal for West Brom in the league this season, but more worryingly for Baggies fans, 70 per cent of his efforts are either blocked or off target
Arsenal got a confidence-boosting win against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League in midweek – but it doesn’t take away from the fact that Arsene Wenger ahs won just two of the last seven league games. Unfortunately for this Stupid Punt, Stephane Sessegnon’s stats suggest he is as deadly as a baby kitten wielding a feather duster, while West Brom have never beaten the Gunners 4-3.
Scorecast: Abel Hernandez to score first and Hull to beat Man Utd 3-0
One punter has £1 on at 1250/1
- Hull City have never beaten Man United 3-0 in their history – and have scored three goals past them on just two occasions. One was in the 2008 4-3 victory at Old Trafford in the Premier League, and before that they won 3-2 at home in a 1934 Division two game
- Manchester United had not lost a home game 3-0 for 13 years until David Moyes’ reign last season. Both Liverpool and Man City came away from the Theatre of Dreams last term with 3-0 wins
- Abel Hernandez has had just nine shots from inside the area this season and scored with three of them – giving him a conversion rate inside the penalty area of 33 per cent
Manchester United fans who hibernated through David Moyes’ reign of terror will struggle to remember what a 3-0 home defeat feels like. But sadly for those who were fully aware of the shambles last season, the hurt of being thumped 3-0 in your own back yard is still very raw. Abel Hernandez is ruthless if he gets a sniff of goal in the box and those kind of stats might give this crazy punt just a glimmer of optimism…
- Book your seat in the Punting Hall of Fame by clicking a monster punt here: Desktop | Mobile
- Seen something you’d like to share with @paddypower? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why Jose Mourinho might find it harder to crack St Mary’s than the rest of the Premier League
- Tottenham v Everton betting preview: The game that’s too close to call, but we’re gambling on an 11/1 tip anyway
- We’ve crunched the numbers from Barnsley to Amsterdam to bring you an 88/1 accumulator that could light up your Saturday night
- Punting Hall of Fame: How to turn a spare €1 into a life changing €250,000
- Is Brendan Rodgers suffering from a suspect transfer policy and too much tinkering?
- QPR are going down. Because statistics, not just Bobby Zamora