It’s not been an easy time for Everton supporters this season. They’ve had little to laugh about – apart from Liverpool’s form.
The Toffees were held 1-1 by Hull on Wednesday night – their fifth drawn home game at Fortress Goodison with fatigue from their Europa League commitments being blamed by manager Roberto Martinez.
And it doesn’t look like its going to get much better this weekend as they travel to face reigning champions Manchester City in Saturlday’s live game (5.30pm) – where Martinez’s record make for grim reading. Toffee fans may want to look away now.
- The Spaniard has never recorded a league win over the Citizens at the Etihad in 10 attempts
- His sides have never kept a clean sheet in the blue half of Manchester
[Click or tap on the image to make it bigger]
- Hat tip to designer Eleonore Kellenberger for this snazzy infographic
Die-hard Evertonians will argue that most of those games were with Wigan who were perennial relegation fodder until the final 10 games of the season when their form magically improved.
Wigan were eventually relegated to the Championship in 2013 where chairman Dave Whelan now makes racist jokes to get some media attention. But Roberto’s parting gift to the club in 2013 was an historic FA Cup win over Saturday’s rivals.
City are the 8/15 favourites to take all three points and will look to Sergio Aguero to add to his 14 Premier League goals this season with a possible sixth goal in eight games against a Martinez-managed side.
- Aguero has scored in nine games this season, with four of his 14 goals coming as the first in the match. A £5 each-way bet on the Argentine to score every week with Paddy Power would have returned almost £87 profit! That’s a profit margin of 124 per cent. #PPValue
What Everton fans desperately need though is to for their side to bring their home form against the Citizens (they’ve won three of their last four smash-ups at Goodison Park) up the M62. If they can do that then maybe Martinez won’t be singing the Blues for once come Saturday night.
- Manchester United Stats: The stats that prove that Van’s the man to lead a title challenge next season
- The Liverpool slump is not all Steven Gerrard’s fault – he can no longer carry the heavy weight of the club’s incredible incompetency
- Matic Man Crush – why football’s gone all gooey for one massive bloke