The New Year Honours List is a tradition that seems to have started around 1890 where the Queen dishes out an ‘Honour’ to famous people or folk who have done some pretty remarkable things in the year just gone. However, Lizzy has a habit of overlooking some of the more remarkable punting of the year, and that’s where we step in. We might not be able to poke you in the shoulders with our mighty sword – that’d be an HR case – but we can give you the kudos for some mind-blowing punts which have emptied Paddy’s pockets over the last 12 months.
These are the top seven that make the list.
1. ‘Good old Phil’ pockets one golf punter almost £11k
- A £2 double on Patrick Reed to win the Humana Challenge and Pablo Larrazabal to win the Abu Dhabi Championship
In January one online punter got 2014 off to a flyer by nailing a 10,200/1 transatlantic golf double. It’s tough enough to pick out one 100/1 winner in the golf, but to pluck two out of the mix in the same weekend is quite incredible. Patrick Reed set a tournament record on his way to recording a wire-to-wire victory in California, but Larrazabal’s victory was far less straightforward. Phil Mickelson had a three-shot lead going into the final round and was in control with eight holes remaining. A triple-bogey let the chasing pack in, and Pablo swooped to victory, clicking this monster punt on the way.
- Try your hand at bagging a huge bet before the year is out and get the latest odds here: Desktop | Mobile
2. Top marks as one punter gets 10 out of 10 at the races to bag £115k
- A £10 each-way accumulator covering 10 selections at Lingfield, Newcastle, Kempton and Fairyhouse
There was more trouble for the boss in February as one online punter in Cumbria (the North West of England if you don’t have a spinning globe to hand) managed to pick out 10 winning selections across four race courses one dark and damp weekend. On His Own won at 8/11, on his way to a Cheltenham Gold Cup second, as did Iving for Paul Nicholls at odds of 4/6. Yorkist was the biggest price of the 10 selections at 5/1 as this punter’s £10 each-way accumulator clicked at odds of 9228/1.
3. A final day Premier League accumulator that turned €1000 into a life-changing €577k
- A €1,000 nine-fold on the Premier League
This Irishman must have genitals the size of wrecking balls because it takes serious cajones to lump a grand on a nine-fold that not only includes two draws, but Stoke to win as well. Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Man City and Stoke all won, with Man Utd drawing with Southampton, and Fulham drawing with Crystal Palace to secure a monster acca which also benefited from a Paddy Power bonus of €100k. Unsurprisingly the boss doesn’t do that kind of bonus anymore. Lady Luck was on this Leinster punter’s side as Stoke’s winner courtesy of Charlie Adam was in the 87th minute, and Chris David’s equaliser for Fulham came deep into stoppage time.
- Will 2015 be the year you enter our Punting Hall of Fame? Get stuck into the latest betting here: Desktop | Mobile
4. An eight league accumulator lasting five months won one punter £200k for a summer holiday
- A £200 eight-fold on eight different divisions at odds of 1005/1
At Christmas time in 2013 one punter in the UK was masterminding a plot that would pocket him more than £200k in the summer of 2014. The plan involved the top three leagues in England, the top three leagues in Scotland, plus the Conference and the Conference South. Five months later all eight selected teams had either gone up or down to pocket this guy belting summer holiday. At 10/1 Cardiff duly finished bottom, despite being four points clear of Sunderland at Christmas, while Eastleigh won the Conference South despite being eight points adrift when the bet was placed – albeit with three games in hand. An inspired punt executed with perfection and patience.
5. How one punter in Monaghan turned €1 into a staggering €250,000
- A €1 10-fold on the win-draw-win and both teams to score market at odds of 245,668/1 exactly
Last month one punter from County Monaghan didn’t just enter the Punting Hall of Fame, we gave him the keys to the house. From just a €1 bet he plucked out a simply stunning 10-fold accumulator which won him the best part of quarter-of-a-million quid. Not too shabby in the run up to Christmas. In total, five of the 10 games needed a goal in the final five minutes so we can only presume this guy had spent the rest of 2014 eating rabbit’s feet, stroking leprechauns, and rubbing four leaf clovers over his naked body.
6. A very merry Christmas for one shop punter in Galway who pocketed €421k
- A €5 20-fold on the Boxing Day football that returned €421,000
Now this is what we call a happy Christmas, new year… Easter, etc. One Irish Paddy Power punter walked away with just over €421,000 from a €5 investment on a massive 20-fold accumulator football bet on Boxing Day. He placed it on a Super Coupon on Monday, December 22 in a Galway Paddy Power shop – and 19 of his selections were straight Win-Draw-Win. The customer opted for Man City -1 in the handicap market for the current Premier League champions’ game against West Brom, getting 7/5 rather than the 1/2 on offer for City simply to win. Not even Santa can deliver this much joy on one coupon…
7. Winning more than £442k on a lazy Sunday with the help of a little genie
Cha-ching! If you’re more of a slots player than a sports better we have an entrant in the Hall of Fame Honours List for you too. A guy called JD from Northern Ireland took down the Genie Jackpot on one of Paddy Power’s slot games last weekend, pocketing himself a monster £442k. Not bad for a quiet Sunday in October? The huge windfall took a while to sink in, but when he finally convinced his girlfriend (and the bank manager) that it really wasn’t a dream, we suspect it made for a very fruitful end to 2014.