The Stupid Punt section of the Blog is all about highlighting some of those loopy-looking bets at monster odds. All that’s required to make them click is a little bit of brains, a little bit of balls and a massive dollop of luck. If you never have a dream, how will you ever have a dream come true? And here on the Paddy Power Blog we’re all dreamers.
There’s a place in the Punting Hall of Fame at stake if you can pull it off. You are the people who make the crazy look inspired and while you have the bravery to toe the line between ridiculous and optimistic, we can only stand back and applaud.
Here are three of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out of Paddy’s Premier League book this week and a few stats to try to back them up.
Scorecast: Olivier Giroud to score first and Arsenal to beat Newcastle 6-0
One punter has £2 on at 350/1
- In 175 meetings between these two sides, it has only ever ended 6-0 once. Newcastle beat Woolwich Arsenal 6-0 in September 1893 at St James’ Park.
- Arsenal have only won one Premier League game 6-0. That was a home game against Blackpool in August 2010, when Theo Walcott helped himself to a hat-trick.
- Olivier Giroud has seven goals in his last eight games in all competitions and has a Premier League conversion rate of an impressive 28.2 per cent.
The Gunners might have suffered a European hiccup in midweek, but their recent domestic form has been top notch. They might be in the driving seat for a top four spot, but expecting them to thump the Magpies 6-0 is slightly optimistic. Expecting gorgeous Frenchman Olivier Giroud to score first however, is mighty wise.
Scorecast: Saido Berahino to score first and West Brom to beat Man City 2-0
One punter is on at 400/1
- West Brom have won away to Manchester City just once since 1980. That was in February 2003 when defender Darren Moore bagged a 71st minute winner in a 2-1 victory.
- If West Brom win it’ll be Man City’s third defeat on the spin in all competitions. The last time that happened was in October 2010 when they lost 3-0 to Arsenal, 2-1 to Wolves, and then 3-1 to Lech Poznan in the Europa League.
- Berahino has three goals in his last five league games for West Brom, and in that time has hit 67 per cent of his shots on target.
Saido Berahino has hit a solid spell of form in front of goal for West Brom and Manchester City are in a terrible run of form. But could the Baggies really go to the Etihad Stadium and win 2-0? One punter certainly thinks so, and he fancies Berahino to kick-start West Brom’s victory.
Scorecast: Wayne Rooney to score first and Man Utd to beat Liverpool 4-0
One punter is on at 500/1
- Manchester United have beaten Liverpool 4-0 on three occasions in their 220 meetings. The Red Devils won 4-0 in 1907, 1952, and most recently in 2003 when Ruud van Nistlerooy scored a brace before Ryan Giggs and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer added a couple more.
- After a difficult start to 2015, Rooney has three goals in three league games, converting 27 per cent of his chances in those matches. Wazza also has three goals in the last six league games against the Reds.
- The last time Liverpool conceded four goals at Anfield in a league game was in the 4-4 draw with Arsenal in April 2009.
One optimistic Manchester United fan fancies Louis van Gaal’s men to pick up their biggest win of the season away to their biggest rivals Liverpool. Wayne Rooney has found a new lease of life having moved back into a more familiar position up top, but expecting an in-form Liverpool side to crumble to a 4-0 defeat is ever so slightly crazy.
- Book your seat in the Punting Hall of Fame by clicking a monster punt here: Desktop | Mobile
- Seen something you’d like to share with @paddypower? Email firstname.lastname@example.org