The Stupid Punt section of the Blog is all about highlighting some of those loopy-looking bets at monster odds. All that’s required to make them click is a little bit of brains, a little bit of balls and a massive dollop of luck. If you never have a dream, how will you ever have a dream come true? And here on the Paddy Power Blog we’re all dreamers.
And just because it’s the Champions League Final, it doesn’t mean that there’s a lack of craziness out there. In honour of the world’s biggest annual game, punters seem to have ramped up the hopeless optimism with some very speculative bets.
There’s a place in the Punting Hall of Fame at stake if you can pull it off. You are the people who make the crazy look inspired and while you have the bravery to toe the line between ridiculous and optimistic, we can only stand back and applaud. Here are three of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out of Paddy’s Champions League Final book.
Stephan Lichtsteiner to score a hat-trick – 500/1
One punter is on for a quid
- If you’re being hugely generous, you could describe Lichtsteiner as a goalscoring full-back. He has scored more than one goal and he is a full-back. He’s scored 25 senior goals for club and country, which isn’t bad but that has been across 435 career appearances. He’s scored three goals this season (not in the one game mind) and he even scored two in a game for Switzerland against Iceland once. Still though, no hat-tricks.
- There have been no hat-tricks in the final for 46 years.
- Only three players have scored a hat-trick in the European Cup Final – Alfredo Di Stefano (1960), Ference Puskas (also 1960) and Pierino Prati (1969)
- You may have noticed that none of those players are actually full-backs.
There’s a certain logic to backing a hat-trick in this game given the attacking talent on show. Well done on that Mr. Punter. Thinking Lichtsteiner is the man to do it … hmmmm.
— Zul’Qarnain. (@AarabianKnight) June 3, 2015
Juventus to win 5-0
Two punters have a total of £1.50 on it at 500/1
Barcelona to win 8-0
Two punters have it backed at 500/1 for £2
Juventus to edge an epic by a scoreline of 5-4
Seven people are on, including one punter who has a tenner at 500/1
- The largest winning margin in any European Cup Final is four goals. It has happened four times (1960, 1974, 1989, 1994). Barcelona were actually the victims of one of those hidings, against a rampant AC Milan side 21 years ago.
- There has never been a final with precisely nine goals in it. Real Madrid and Eintracht Frankfurt shared 10 in 1960 (7-3) and Benfica and Los Blancos provided us with eight in the 1962 final, but they are the two highest scoring finals.
- 118 teams have contested 59 European Cup finals – only two have scored five or more goals in the final.
- Barcelona have won 8-0 very recently however. They thumped Cordoba by that scoreline at the start of May.
- Juve have managed several thumping wins in recent seasons, but it’s over three years since they have won by a 5-0 scoreline. It was against Fiorentina in Serie A and it wasn’t hurt by the Viola playing for 70 odds minutes with just 10 men.
Despite the memorable thumpings, Champions League Finals tend to be close affairs. Some of these winning margins would make for cracking entertainment, but a less convincing betting strategy. If one team where to win a final 8-0 however, it’s probably this version of Barcelona.
Xavi to score first and Juventus to win 3-2 – 800/1
One punter is on for a quid
Tevez to score first and Juventus to win 4-0 – 2000/1
One punter is on for a fiver
Morata to score first and the game to finish 4-4 – 2500/1
One punter is on for a mind boggling 50p
- In eight meetings between the two sides, four goals is the most ever scored – a 3-1 win for Barcelona in 1991
- Juventus have only won 3-2 three times this season, and only once have the come from behind. That was against Fiorentina in April.
- For Xavi to score first… well he’d have to probably start the game and that is highly unlikely with Rakitic, Busquets and Iniesta all ahead of him. He’s only started two games in this season’s Champions League.
- Xavi has only scored two goals all season, his last came in a 6-0 rout against Getafe in April
- Tevez has 29 goals in 44 this season, while Morata has netted 14 times in 40 appearances.
At least Morata and Tevez to score is slightly more realistic… but then you see the scorelines. Like a teenage girl, I can’t even. Xavi to score first is fairytale-esque, but it turns somewhat sadistic when the punter wants Juventus to win… just to kill off any chance of Xavi leaving on a high.
But fair play buds, we salute the incredible optimism that ye have!
- Book your seat in the Punting Hall of Fame by clicking a monster punt here: Desktop | Mobile
- Seen something you’d like to share with @paddypower? Email email@example.com