The Stupid Punt section of the Blog is all about highlighting some of those loopy-looking bets at monster odds. All that’s required to make them click is a little bit of brains, a little bit of balls and a massive dollop of luck. If you never have a dream, how will you ever have a dream come true? And here on the Paddy Power Blog we’re all dreamers at 10/11.
There’s a place in the Punting Hall of Fame at stake if you can pull it off. You are the people who make the crazy look inspired and while you have the bravery to toe the line between ridiculous and optimistic, we can only stand back and applaud. Here are some of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out of Paddy’s International book this week and a few stats to try to back them up.
Ireland v Scotland
Ireland to win 7-0
One punter has €2 on it at 500/1
Wes Hoolahan to score first but Scotland to win 3-1
One punter as 25p on it at 350/1
Scotland to be winning 2-1 at HT, 6-1 at FT
One thrifty punter has 7p on it at 500/1
Ireland. To score seven goals. I’ll take whatever it is your having!
- Ok so the boys did manage to get seven goals in this campaign, but that was against Gibraltar. 8-0 is the biggest win ever recorded by Ireland, and that was against Malta way back in 1983… A year after they lost 7-0 to Brazil.
- The last four games between Ireland and Scotland in Dublin have finished as follows: 1-0, 1-2, 1-1, 0-0.
- The biggest Irish win was 2-0 back in 2003, while the biggest ever Scottish win over Ireland was 4-1 back in 1961. Still… there’s a first time for everything right?
- Wes Hoolahan might be loved by every Irish fan, but he has yet to reach 20 games played for Ireland. In the 18 games that he has played, he has only got two goals. Five goals in 39 games for Norwich this season wouldn’t see me running off to back him to score first either.
Slovenia v England
Slovenia to beat England 6-0
One English-based punter as 60p on it
Charlie Austin to score a hat-trick
One punter has read too much Roy of the Rovers and stuck £7 on the dream debut at 66/1
- You could have done so much with that 60p! Imagine, you could have 60p paid off on your next Aston Martin. Throwing around 60p like that is just shameful.
- Slovenia have been known to score a few goals though. Their last 6-0 win came March… against San Marino. Say what you want about England, but they’re a tiny bit better than San Marino. No offence lads.
- Slovenia’s highest ever win was a 7-0 win in 1999 against Oman. That was swiftly followed up by a 5-0 defeat to France.
- England’s biggest loss was in a 7-1 game against Hungary in 1954. But the fact that England beat Slovenia 3-1 earlier in the campaign, and the fact that in all meetings between the two sides England remain unbeaten – I deem this myth to be busted.
- The last England hat-trick was scored in 2010 by Defoe against Bulgaria. In fact only four English players have managed it in 15 years – Owen twice, Crouch, Walcott and Defoe.
Fair play buds, we salute the incredible optimism that ye have!
- Book your seat in the Punting Hall of Fame by clicking a monster punt here: Desktop | Mobile
- Seen something you’d like to share with @paddypower? Email email@example.com
- Brave-art – Paddy Power goads Scots ahead of qualifier
- Ireland v Scotland: A 25/1 bet to brighten it up and one massive advantage that the Irish have – (other than freedom)
- Find out if FIFA 15 can predict the future and pocket us £1,000 by correctly guessing the results of five Euro 2016 qualifiers?