There will be a few sore heads across the country on Friday morning.
Ireland beat World Cup holders Germany at the Aviva Stadium on Thursday night to guarantee them at least a Euro 2016 play-off spot. Shane Long’s strike on 70 minutes flew past Manuel Neur, and set up the longest 20 minutes in Ireland’s recent footballing history – particularly if you were one of the handful of punters waiting for the Boys in Green to click a monster bet.
Many Ireland fans going into the game were hoping the home side could hold out for a draw against the Germans, few thought they could upset the odds and win, and even fewer were willing to stake their hard-earned cash on it.
That’s why we want to celebrate the brave souls who bet with their hearts instead of their heads and have come up trumps. Here are the five greatest bets that were struck last night, during one of the most memorable nights in Ireland’s footballing history.
Shane Long to score and Ireland to win 1-0: 125/1
- 36 people struck this unlikely Scorecast before kick-off and seven people were brave enough to stick a fiver on. They all pocketed €630 each at the final whistle, but it was nothing compared to one lady from Sligo who had €10 on and won €1260. Drinks are on that lucky lady this weekend!
Half Time 0-0, Full Time 1-0 correct score: 30/1
- Seven people were on this bet, fancying Ireland to hold out until half-time and then sneak the winner – and they called it spot on. One Dublin man had €10 on the HT/FT Correct Score and won a tidy €310.
Shane Long to score and Ireland to win the match: 20/1
- 12 people backed Long to score and Ireland to pinch three points. Three punters had a fiver on and pocketed a cool €100 each.
Shane Long to score first (in-running): 16/1 as Long was substituted on
Ireland to win (in-running): 10/1 as Shane Long was substituted on
- Which Manchester United player is the league’s deadliest and who has put the most cash in your pocket? Find out now with our table of prolific players
- Sergio Aguero is favourite for the Premeir League Golden Boot, but here are two 25/1 shots worth your each-way support
- P25 W0 L25 GD -275: Newcastle – here’s 6 teams doing even worse than you