Forget John Lewis ads, this story really brought a tear to our eyes. As punters with limited tastes of success and much experience of hitting the crossbar, we feel the pain.
Cash Out is a great tool for punters to have at their disposal, and one that is often used to great effect. There’s nothing better than scooping a few quid off the bookies when your original bet is a loser. Unfortunately however, Cash Out can’t help you make the right calls. And last night an error of judgment unfortunately cost one unlucky Irish punter the best part of €23,000.
Firstly, credit where credit is due. Correctly predicting 11 correct results in the Europa League is a massive achievement – and even more admirable when you consider one of those 11 teams was 14/1 shots Skenderbeu Korce, who defied the odds to thump Sporting Lisbon 3-0. A €5 accumulator was struck on the Android App by our optimistic Co. Louth punter, with a return of €22,948 and a place in our coveted Punting Hall of Fame up for grabs if everything went to plan.
And it did. But our punter couldn’t stick it out. Squeaky-bum time obviously overwhelmed him. And who can blame him? Given Liverpool were winless in the Europa League, not many people would have expected the Reds to take the 4,000 mile round trip and claim a 1-0 win away to Rubin Kazan, while bar a moment of pure magic from Mousa Dembele, Tottenham would have been held to a draw at home to Anderlecht. The punter cashed out for a total of €16.81, unaware that if he’d let the bet run he’d be currently sat on nearly €23k. Gutted for you mate.
The bet in full looks like this:
- Borussia Dortmund to beat FK Gabala: 1/20
- Molde to beat Celtic: 9/2
- Club Brugge to beat Legia Warsaw: 17/20
- Villarreal to beat Dinamo Minsk: 1/2
- Liverpool to beat Rubin Kazan: 10/11
- Napoli to beat Midtjylland: 1/5
- Athletic Bilbao to beat Partizan Belgrade: 1/4
- FC Augsburg to beat AZ Alkmaar: 4/7
- Lazio to beat Rosenburg: 17/10
- Skenderbeu Korce v Sporting Lisbon: 14/1
- Tottenham to beat Anderlecht: 4/7
And although we don’t personally know this punter, we’re willing to bet he’s probably doing something similar to this right now.
But do not fear. The Premier League is right around the corner and it’s another chance for punters to click a tasty bet at monster odds. Plus with a profit of €11.81 in his back pocket, this punter certainly had a more successful night betting on the Europa League than the Paddy Power Blog team.
- Drumroll please: Our brand spanking new Paddy Power App has arrived!
- Arsenal v Tottenham: Arsene Wenger is the King of North London, and this 16/1 shot says he’ll continue his reign
- Stoke v Chelsea: We look at just how bad things have got for Chelsea, and pluck out this 11/2 shot
- Newcastle v Bournemouth: Why you should back the Magpies to find their shooting boots at 18/1