This Stupid Punt section of the Blog is all about highlighting some of those loopy-looking bets at monster odds. All that’s required to make them click is a little bit of brains, a little bit of balls and a massive dollop of luck. If you never have a dream, how will you ever have a dream come true? And here on the Paddy Power Blog we’re all dreamers.
There’s a place in the Punting Hall of Fame at stake if you can pull it off. You are the people who make the crazy look inspired and while you have the bravery to toe the line between ridiculous and optimistic, we can only stand back and applaud. Here are three of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out of Paddy’s special FA Cup book this week and a few stats to try to back them up.
Exeter to beat Liverpool 4-0 – 500/1
We salute the two brave souls that’ve backed the League Two side without a win in their last five league games against the seven-time winners of the FA Cup.
- Exeter have only scored over four goals once in the last three years – in September, at home to Leyton Orient
- Liverpool have failed to reach the fourth round three times in the last decade most notably to Reading
- These sides have only met once – in 2012, when the Grecians lost 3-1. Only four of the Liverpool squad are still at the club
With an “experimental” Liverpool side being played including Tiago Ilori (no we haven’t heard of him either), there could be 501 reasons to celebrate come Friday 10pm
Aston Villa to beat Wycombe 8-0 – 500/1
Villa fans have got to look at the positives, wherever they may find them. And one has, putting a pound on his side to win 8-0 on Saturday afternoon at Wycombe
- The last time these sides played was in 2006 when Villa won 8-3. Despite trailing 3-1 at half time seven second half goals, including braces from James Milner and Gareth Barry, and a strike from Milan Baros.
- That was the last time Villa scored eight goals in a game, they’ve only put more than five past a team twice since
- This is Wycombe’s first third round appearance since 2011, when they lost at home to Hereford
This could be the spark that lights up Villa’s great escape plan, and this fan could afford 12 Championship games if it doesn’t!
Mahrez to score first and Leicester to beat Spurs 4-0 – 1,500/1
Leicester are firing in the league, but can that translate to the cup with the absence of Jamie Vardy? One punter thinks so, backing a 1,500/1 scorecast with Riyad Mahrez to score and Leicester to win 4-0
- Leicester and Spurs have met 11 times in the FA Cup – but the Foxes have won the last two, including at the Lane in the third round last year
- Mahrez has a 66% shot accuracy in the Prem so far this season
- With Jamie Vardy out injured, Leicester will look to Mahrez for goals. He’s opened the scoring four times so far this season
- Spurs have lost just one of their last 15 matches
Scunthorpe to beat Chelsea 4-2 – 500/1
Surely not even Chelsea are that bad? Blues fans have short memories. But they also inspire people like the heroic punter that backed Scunthorpe to win at the Bridge 4-2.
- Scunthorpe have had less than half of their games see over 2.5 goals so far this season
- Chelsea exited at home to a League One side in the FA Cup last season – Bradford
- These sides met in the 2005 competition in one of Jose Mourinho’s earliest games. Scunthorpe took the lead, before falling 3-1
- Guus Hiddink has never lost an FA Cup match
Get yourself in the Punting Hall of Fame by landing a crazy odds FA Cup bet Mobile| Desktop