This Stupid Punt section of the Blog is all about highlighting some of those loopy-looking bets at monster odds. All that’s required to make them click is a little bit of brains, a little bit of balls and a massive dollop of luck. If you never have a dream, how will you ever have a dream come true? And here on the Paddy Power Blog we’re all dreamers.
There’s a place in the Punting Hall of Fame at stake if you can pull it off. You are the people who make the crazy look inspired and while you have the bravery to toe the line between ridiculous and optimistic, we can only stand back and applaud. Here are four of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out of Paddy’s Premier League book this week and a few stats to try to back them up.
Jermaine Defoe to score first and Sunderland to win 4-0 at 1750/1
Kicking off with the early game and we have one Wearside punter who’s hoping that his Black Cats can strike it lucky. If they do, it’s a cool £1,750 in his back pocket. Yes, the Mackems have been improving. They’ve only lost twice in their last six league encounters.
- Sunderland have never beaten Manchester United at the Stadium Of Light.
- Manchester United have only lost one of their previous 27 league meetings with Sunderland
- They’ve more clean sheets than anyone in the league.
- Sunderland have scored four at home once since 2010 against Cardiff
So the scoreline is unlikely, but what about if he had put a bet on Defoe first goalscorer as a single? Well, that is even more unlikely. In 15 seasons, Defoe has only scored against the Red Devils twice. Even Mario Balotelli has more than that. Still, at least Jermaine has a better record than Aston Villa against the Manchester side.
Mark Noble to score a hat-trick v Norwich at 375/1
Here at Power Tower we feel that Essex is given a bad rap on television. Why are television producers focusing on glammed up Barbie dolls and men with admittedly impressive six packs, when they should be interviewing the brave Paddy Power customer who has stuck two of his hard earned pounds on Mark Noble to score a hat trick against Norwich.
- Mark Noble has never scored against Norwich
- Mark Noble rarely scores more than three goals in a season – doing so only twice in his last six campaigns
- But Norwich have conceded three or more in more than a third of their games this season
- They have the worst goal difference in the Premier League
So this Saturday, don’t think of Gemma Collins trying to run, or whatever the hell a ‘vajazzle’ is. Think of the Hammers and the one fan that’ll pocket £750 if the captain leads by example.
Jamie Vardy to score first and Leicester to beat Arsenal 4-0 at 1000/1
Okay, we’re all caught up on the Leicester bandwagon. We showed you last week about how there are four punters waiting on a title win for huge payouts, but the closer they get to the title, the more silly punts come through. This week we’ve had a scorecast with Jamie Vardy to score first and Leicester to win 4-0. There’s one Foxes fan with a fiver on it.
- Leicester have failed to score in just three of their games so far in the league
- Arsenal lost 4-0 to Southampton on Boxing Day, and have the worst goal difference of the title challengers
- They’ve made 9 defensive errors at home this season, 4 of which have led to goals
- That’s not something you want against Jamie Vardy. 17 of his 18 goals have come inside the box, 11 of them one on ones.
Claudio Ranieri can take comfort in a little bit of history against Arsene Wenger. Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’ went to Ranieri’s Chelsea in the Champions League, and were beaten over the two legs. Wayne Bridge got the winner. If Vardy can stop Wenger again, one Leicester fan could afford to buy a bridge.
Spurs to beat Man City 6-1 at 500/1
Now, we’re certain that there’s a painful memory that’s caused this one. Spurs have been handed their arses more often than not in recent memory when playing City. 5-1 at the Lane (twice) and a 6-0 thumping in the Etihad a couple of seasons ago. But these are two completley different sides to the ones back then, as Spurs’ 4-1 win over City in September proved.
- The last nine Barclays Premier League matches between these two sides have seen 41 goals scored.
- Man City have not beaten any side currently in the top six of the BPL table this season
- City have won the last five meetings at the Etihad.
Spurs are the closest challengers to Leicester. One fan is so confident of this bet coming through he’s thrown an extraordinarily large sum of… 50p on the 6-1 scoreline. Still, he’ll be able to wine and dine his partner on Valentine’s night if it comes up. Or able to buy a years membership on a ‘gentleman’s’ website. Whatever floats his boat.
- Book your seat in the Punting Hall of Fame by clicking a monster punt here: Desktop | Mobile
- Seen something you’d like to share with @paddypower? Email email@example.com